PDA

View Full Version : Disabled snake?

Disabled snake?

peep_827
05-01-2005, 12:42 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while and trying to figure out what is going on with Petunia, and I'm stumped. Is it possible that she could be retarded? :laugh: But really, it's not funny . . . or maybe she is blind? Here's what gets me . . . the first time I fed her she was blue so I wasn't too surprised when she didn't see the mouse but bit herself in the side instead. Actually, it was pretty funny, she didn't hurt herself. She did eventually find the mouse, she was starving! As I mentioned before after I got her home and looked at her really good she seemed skinny to me, and I've had her on a 5 day feeding schedule and she has been rounding out. But every time I feed her she takes longer to find her mouse than any of the other snakes, often frantically searching for it and slithering right over it and getting it wrapped up in her coils without even realizing it's there. Then she usually sort of nibbles at the mouse for a bit before she finds an end to start at, and she eats many of her mice tail end first!

Since she has been on a 5 day feeding schedule that doesn't leave many days that I can handle her, however I do try to handle her for a little bit each day that she is not digesting. She frequently has VERY extreme reactions to being removed from her tub, usually she will rattle at me and strike if she gets the chance. It doesn't hurt, obviously, she's just a baby, but I find it annoying. I assume that she's musking, I've never seen anything come out of her, but usually she has an unpleasant smell - almost like sour eggs. So handling her is not a fun experience, yet I do it regularly in the hope she will settle down. The last time I handled her when I got her out of her tub she did her usual stuff and then settled down. I held her for about 10-15 minutes and then out of the blue she struck at my hand. This was 3 days after her last meal, she shouldn't have been that hungry. I laughed about it, but a few minutes later she began nibbling on my finger, like she does when she is trying to find a place to start on a mouse. I hadn't handled any mice since I'd fed her last, so I know I couldn't have possibly smelled like mouse.

I laughed about it then, however more and more I wonder if there is something wrong with this snake? I have considered that perhaps her vision is impaired, or perhaps she just isn't the sharpest pencil in the box . . . is it possible for a snake to be mentally impaired? None of my other 3 act like this, in fact they are delightful to handle and watch. Monty struck at me once during feeding, but that's it. Or is it possible that she's still just that hungry? It seems unlikely to me since she is on a 5 day feeding schedule and seems to be filling out. Am I doing something wrong with her? I bought her with the intention of breeding her, but if there is something wrong with her I wouldn't want to perpetuate those genes! I just don't know what to think about this girl . . . :shrugs:

MegF.
05-01-2005, 03:50 PM
There have been a few posts here about snakes attempting to digest their owners fingers, so yours is not unique. As to the tail rattling and musking, it might just be her. My one female hatchling is the nastiest tempered critter ever. She strikes, musks and tail rattles almost everytime I handle her. It has improved slightly over time, but not much. I call her the psycho B**** (you fill in the letters)! Snakes don't have extremely good eyesight to begin with, and really don't need it. They hunt using their tongues and some heat sensing (some use heat sensors more than others). You might try really warming up the nose end of the mouse by putting it near a light bulb or something that might stimulate her to take that end. I had one mouse kind of break open near the belly, and believe it or not, the intestines really attracted my amel when he was in blue. As disgusting as it sounds, a little piece near the head got him eating immediately when he showed no interest at first. My larger aztec is kind of like yours. She crawls around for a while, and then acts surprised when she comes upon the mouse again. Kind of like, wow, where did you come from?! Then she has to sniff it all over, try different areas to ingest, and then finally ends up at the head. It sounds to me like your snake is just one of those strange ones like mine.

peep_827
05-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Well, I feel better now - I guess that Petunia just has a lot of weird characteristics. Really, I was concerned, my others are so nice and she's a real PITA. It seems none if it is really out of the scope of normal corn behavior, just a little weird that she does all those things. It figures that the crimson I *SO* wanted would turn out to be a freak! :rolleyes:

I like that you call your cranky snake "Psycho B****" . . . I just call Petunia "my problem child", tho if she keeps this up as she gets older she may end up with a similar name, she's only about 18" now. I guess I'll just keep up the frequent gentle handling and hope for the best.

How old is your psycho snake?

MegF.
05-01-2005, 09:47 PM
She's 9 months old and about 24" long. She is the smallest of the three, and I'm thinking there is a direct correlation between calm temperament and growth. It seems my calmest snakes are also the largest. Maybe the nervous ones burn off more food acting like idiots than the calm ones do. I only have 5 so it's not a great indicator, but it is interesting.

peep_827
05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
After posting this yesterday cause I was not looking forward to taking Petunia out to feed her, I did last night and she was as NICE as could be. I mean sweet and docile . . . as nice a snake as anyone could ask for!! She still took a while to locate her dinner tho. What a goofy girl!!! Maybe she's just moody? :shrugs: So there's hope for her yet . . .

MegF.
05-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Mine does the same thing. She's actually been o.k. the last two times. Maybe they're PMS'ing???