PDA

View Full Version : Sanke won't eat

Sanke won't eat

sulu
05-01-2005, 03:37 PM
HI. This is my first post here but i've been reading every thing for quit a while. I got my fisrt corn snake in Dec. he's a male creamsicle. He was eating just fine. But lately it seams he never wants to eat. the last time he ate was 4/12/05. And the time before that he went like 3 weeks befor he'd eat. that time i dangeled the mice by him and he finaley ate it but this time i tryed that again and it's not working. Before this he never had any problem eating. he comes out ever night and don't look like his losing any weight. There doens't seem to be any thing esle wrong with him. he 20 inches long and I think he's 6 months old. Nothing has changed in his viv all of is sheds has been perfect. sorry for being so long winded but I'm starting to get worried. Thanks for any help.

MegF.
05-01-2005, 03:41 PM
He's pretty young to be going off food for the breeding season, but I think Cav mentioned that he's had some that have done so. It could just be because he's a male. I would wait until your next scheduled feeding time before offering again. Don't offer too often. That was the best advice I was given. I wouldn't worry overmuch at this point. If he's active and healthy looking, he's probably just an early bloomer. Just don't give him the car keys!

gardenmum
05-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, being 20" and six months, I don't think he is having "female thought" problems so that could be rulled out. So, the next questions would be....what are the temps on the hot side and cold side (including the temps in the substrate, not just the ambient)? Does he have a hide at both ends? What type of substrate are you using? Does he have parasites maybe (internal) that may be affecting his eating? This last one you will have to take him to a vet to check that out.

Even if all the above housing items are good, some snakes just go off feed and become difficult for a while which is frustrating for us humans since we don't want to think we will lose our animal. Most times this is a temporary phase and all of a sudden the snake will begin eating again.

My suggestion would be to make sure all temps and such are correct, it they are not, correct them, if they are, then keep offering meals every few days and keep a watch on the little one. If it looks like things aren't improving, take him to a vet and have him checked for parasites. You may even want to do this this week if you are concerned and not wait to see how things go.

Best of luck with him, hope he starts eating soon.

gardenmum
05-01-2005, 03:50 PM
LOL ....Meg. Sorry about the repeat info, I must have been typing mine when you sent yours. :)

OHhhhh.....and I forgot to say, Welcome to the forums Sulu. Hmmmm....I can see someone is a Star Trek fan. :)

MegF.
05-01-2005, 03:53 PM
No problem Dianne. I have that happen all the time and then I have to go back and write: "Forget it!" I think Cav did mention he's had some young ones go off food even at less than a year, so I think it's possible. I had asked him about it when my male went off food earlier this year.

sulu
05-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replys. There's 3 hides 1 on the hot side 1 on the cool side and 1 in the middle just because. Also have a sweat box. and than there's in water bowl on the cool side. I went to took the temp with a temp gun and was surpized to see the hot side was 94.3 and the cool side was 83.0 so i turned off the uth. Do you think that could be the problem? Never thought to think about the change in weather.
Dianne. I do like star trek but i couldn't think of a screen name so i use couple of letters from 2 of my breaded dragons one is susie and the other is lulu.
For got to tell what subscrate i'm using. bed of beast. he loves it he borrows under it all the time.