PDA

View Full Version : do i worry to much???

do i worry to much???

Had1nowwant1
05-01-2005, 10:02 PM
this concerns reptile to human diseases so i put it under health!

I see pictures and read about people letting there snakes and lizards crawl around their stuff such as the computer(most common)and they hold their reptiles at the computer. I worry that salmonella or other bacteria may get on these items and i(or other family member) will touch them later and get sick. Is this really something to worry about or am i just worrying to much? i would love to hold my snakes and bearded dragon(not at the same time) while i am on the computer!

JaLan
05-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I think I would be far more concerned about what my snake might catch
from my keyboard. There are numerous, recent biological studies that
indicate the average keyboard carries far more germs that any item in the
average bathroom. Scary... Keep some Lysol around to spray your keyboard
and wash your hands before and after. You and your snake should be
fine.

-JaLan

MegF.
05-02-2005, 12:42 AM
I don't think there's any disease that humans can give to snakes, but salmonella can be spread from snakes to humans. I've never worried about it though as far as the computer. Wash your hands after handling, and I suppose, after using the computer. You'd be far more likely to catch a cold or flu from a family member using the computer than something from the snake.

Jujube
05-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Adults are less prone to getting Salmonella because we have developed strong immune systems; we can get it from reptiles but odds aren't anything to be concerned about. Children under the age of 5, however, are much more prone, especially infants, and more precaution is needed if they're in an evironment where reptiles are kept. I remember reading in an article (I forget if it was posted here or on another forum) where an infant contracted Salmonella from the dad's shirt because he'd been handling a snake earlier that day (bio teacher). So as long as there are no small children around, you don't have much to worry about as far as where you hold your reptiles. Just keep them away from the kitchen area where food is prepared, that sort of common sense thing. And of course, washing your hands always helps (like others have already said).

Had1nowwant1
05-02-2005, 06:12 PM
well im not an adult yet but my immune system is probably ok. so if you touch something that a reptile has touched(not including in cage stuff or pooped on stuff) you probably wont contract a disease?

mbdorfer
05-02-2005, 06:32 PM
well im not an adult yet but my immune system is probably ok. so if you touch something that a reptile has touched(not including in cage stuff or pooped on stuff) you probably wont contract a disease?
Highly unlikely. You hold your reptile right? If it has a communicable disease, again, unlikely, why worry about what it slithered over? :wavey: