PDA

View Full Version : Keeping eggs hydrated

Keeping eggs hydrated

Brian Miller
04-06-2002, 10:05 PM
I have a cutch of eggs that I am keeping in perilite. I was wondering how do I keep the eggs hydrated. A few of the eggs are dehydrated. What is the best way to try and save these eggs. Is there a certain way to moisen the the perilite. Thanks for the help.

Iris
04-06-2002, 10:23 PM
If you put a little water into the container, it will stay on the bottom beneath the perilite. Then (if you have it covered) the water will condense on its own and keep the eggs moist. Or, you can use a spray bottle with WARM (not cold because it could shock the eggs) water and spray the eggs whenever they seem dehydrated. Or put a damp papertowel over the eggs if they are not sealed in a container.

Kevin M
04-07-2002, 09:47 AM
Should be able to just pur water in the substrate yourself to hydrate the eggs. Be careful not to add too much or get water directly on the eggs.

-Kev

Peter
04-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Last year I had 3 clutches that were in sphagnum moss, no holes in the containers, I just burped a little fresh air in there at least once a week and I had 100% hatch rate and I rarely if ever had to add water. I definately never had any problems with caving in or dimpled eggs.