PDA

View Full Version : Well, I've done it!

Well, I've done it!

mbdorfer
05-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Got my first colony going. 3 females and 1 male in a 10 gal tank.
Aspen pellet bedding, small clump of timothy hay, toilet paper roll, bowl full of forti-diet, and water bottle, of course.
I set them up in the laundry room as there won't be much traffic in there....lol
I've noticed that they all like to sit in the food bowl, is that normal?
Do they know not to crap in there? Should I replace uneaten food daily?
Never tried to breed mice before. Hopefully this venture won't backfire on me. :shrugs:

Joejr14
05-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Got my first colony going. 3 females and 1 male in a 10 gal tank.
Aspen pellet bedding, small clump of timothy hay, toilet paper roll, bowl full of forti-diet, and water bottle, of course.
I set them up in the laundry room as there won't be much traffic in there....lol
I've noticed that they all like to sit in the food bowl, is that normal?
Do they know not to crap in there? Should I replace uneaten food daily?
Never tried to breed mice before. Hopefully this venture won't backfire on me. :shrugs:

Yes, it's normal. Mice are disgusting.

No, do not replace or take out uneaten food daily.

Heh, wait till you have to clean piss syrup on the water bottles from them climbing all over it.

mbdorfer
05-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Yes, it's normal. Mice are disgusting.

No, do not replace or take out uneaten food daily.

Heh, wait till you have to clean piss syrup on the water bottles from them climbing all over it.
Oh joy! Fortunately I've got some voracious kings that will eat anywhere, anytime if these mice tick me off enough :crazy02:

Quigs
05-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Yep, we have a few tanks going here as well as the racks. It's common practice and evidently a very fun game to remove all lab blocks from the food bowl immediately after I fill it.

Mice are pretty disgusting creatures. They will use the food bowl as a toilet whether there is food present or not, they just don't care.

Never the less, I really enjoy raising mice...lol

Q

mbdorfer
05-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Yep, we have a few tanks going here as well as the racks. It's common practice and evidently a very fun game to remove all lab blocks from the food bowl immediately after I fill it.

Mice are pretty disgusting creatures. They will use the food bowl as a toilet whether there is food present or not, they just don't care.

Never the less, I really enjoy raising mice...lol

Q
I knew you were into this as I read every post in the feeders forum before deciding to try it! So, how often do I need to check the food bowl for feces?

A_Mc
05-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Best of luck to you in your mouse breeding adventure!!!!!
I attempted the breed and feed about 10 years ago when I bought my first snake. As my snake collection grew, so did my mice....I had them housed in the spare bedroom with my snakes...No more than 3-4 mice per 10 gallon tank. I was meticulous with their cages, bedding, feeding, etc. I kept detailed records of litters, breedings, etc. After about 2 years of this, I decided to give it up and buy frozen--God Bless places like RodentPro!!!
I can't put it any better than this:
Mice are disgusting.

OR, Wait till you clean the cage, and it smells like dirty urine 2 days later.
Maybe my husbandry skills were lacking, but I honestly don't know what else I could have done :shrugs: ....By the time I 'got rid' of them all, my whole house smelled like 'mouse'....It's a distinctive smell----You'll see. :sidestep:
Oh yeah--They WILL crap in the food bowl, and every where else...

Quigs
05-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Honestly...

I don't worry about it. I add more lab blocks when they appear to be gone and clean once a week. In a 1.3 colony (depending on how big the bowl is) you should only have to feed a couple times a weeks. Of course food and water consumption increases a bit when babies are present. Just keep an eye on them.

Like I said though, the mice in tanks usually remove all or at least most lab blocks right away and hide them or leave them laying around. I really hate throwing away uneaten food. That's what initally made me goto a rack system. ZERO food waste, since they have to work to get it! Also like Joe mentioned, they will climb up the bottle and pee on it as well as down the side of the aquarium. Racks cut all that out.

They are nasty critters indeed.

Q

mbdorfer
05-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I think I'm prepared for the disgusting part. To me feeding frozen/thawed is disgusting :-puke01: I like to keep a bit of "wildness" in my snakes, and that is why I will ALWAYS feed live (or near death) :grin01: I guess in a few days I'll know if this was a mistake or not, but at $25 a week to feed my current snake population, I must give this my best shot. :cheers:

Quigs
05-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Some people argue this, but there's no doubt in my mind that I save a mint raising my own. I spend $20 for 50lbs of lab blocks. Admitedly, it's not lasting quite as long around here anymore but we have around 100 breeders now.

There's no way I would be able to have as large of collection of snakes and leggers if we didn't.

I keep a spread sheet with costs of supplies and numbers of culled mice. It's definately worth it to me! The proof is in the numbers. I'm actually procrastinating right now. There are 70 mice I weaned a couple weeks ago in there, that are buying the farm today. What's a live adult mouse cost ya?

If you feed live, you had better go out and buy a few more aqauriums...lol They will be filled up in no time...mark my words!

Smell is the only downfall in my opinion. The amount of work is minimal. Between the two of us, we have it nailed in a couple hours a week.

Q

Joejr14
05-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I'd personally just nix the food bowl. They dont really use it, and they're instinctively food hiders, so whatever. They scatter all of their food around the cage anyway, so I never bothered with a bowl. I just dumped a handful of block into the cage and that was it for the week.

A lot of people swear by Marshalls Bi-odor. It is EXPENSIVE stuff, but apparently it totally kills the nasty urine stench.

If you've got the capability of building a rack, I'd go for that. They have cement mixing tubs at Home Depot for about $6 and there's no question you could easily fit a 1.6 in each of the small tubs.

Plus, with a screen-mesh top, there's no waste of lab block, and no pissing on the water bottle.

You can say that it wont bother you, but trust me, it's disgusting. It is a sticky nasty slimey syrupey goop. It really is one of the most disgusting things out there.

A rack is a better way to go, and if you did a rack, you could use two of the giant tubs ($12) or so each and really pimp the male out. Give him a harem of 10 females or so and use the other tub for a 1.3 of rats. That way you can use the mice pinks and fuzzies for all the new hatchlings you're going to get at Daytona, and use rat pinks/fuzzies/pups for the older stuff.

defx101
05-07-2005, 05:38 PM
when i made my first colony i realize how dirty mice can be and the food bowl got so dirty that by day 4 or so i decided to remove it instead i place the food in a corner and it saves the trouble of having to clean the bowl due to the smell which can get really bad

mbdorfer
05-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks, I already ditched the bowl! :-puke01:

moreptiles
05-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Here is a good alternative to a food bowl. Before I got my rack system, I used the small metal mesh racks that you can buy at target for a food container. They are chrome and about 2 inches high, 3 inches wide and 5 inches long. since they have 1/2 inch square spacing on the metal , the lab blocks fit inside and the mice poop stays out mostly (except the mice like to climb inside with the food when they are little). But even then, the mouse poop all falls out. It keeps the food mostly nice and clean. I mount the food holder on the top underside of the container and then just drop the food in through the top of the cage. For a container for the mice, I used the plastic reptile enclosures that they sell at WalMart (the ones with the colored tops). I just tie the food container to the lid with small wires so that the top is right under the top opening. So to feed them, I just pop open the lid and throw a handfull of food in the chrome feeder. The reptile enclosures have a cut out hole for a water bottle, so you can replace the water bottle without taking the lid off. The other advantage of this system is that the whole setup only costs about 12 or 13 dollars. But then a rack system is still much better if you have a lot of mice.

Mark

Willow771
05-11-2005, 02:37 PM
just a tip to help with smell.....

I have no idea why this happens but if you have any galvenized or un-powdercoated/un-plastic coated metals...even to the extent of some bare metal showing through the powdercoat or plastic...it will cause a chemical reaction with the urine and multiply the smell almost 100x

a smell free cage is a metal free cage or invest to have anything metal powdercoated. I found that when i removed all metal from my tank and used all plastic accessories including plastic hangers for drink hooks (if yours are the hanging kind) because even that stupid metal hook to hold your water bottle can cause one hell of a stench if urine gets on it .

and no amount of scrubbing this metal will cause the smell to diminish. it literally absorbs into the metal (thus why its refered to as a chemical reaction...a stinky one but one nonetheless)

just my two bits on killing smell

mbdorfer
05-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Well the first week has passed and I am amazed how well things went. I cleaned their cage today, and there was no horrible odor as anticipated.
None of them tried to bite me or anything, they all seem fairly content.
Just hope they produce!

JTGoff69
05-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Well the first week has passed and I am amazed how well things went. I cleaned their cage today, and there was no horrible odor as anticipated.
None of them tried to bite me or anything, they all seem fairly content.
Just hope they produce!

Well Mike, I'll tell ya, working at PetsMart I have to clean the little buggers out twice a week, and the mice and rats are the cleanest and least smelly of the bunch. And the most friendly by far. On the other hand, hamsters are vile, digusting, evil, creatures. Their urine hardens to the point you need a paint scraper to get it off, and they do it everywhere. You never know when you're going to get a chunk taken out of you either. (Did I mention they were evil? LOL)

Does anyone use pine pellets as their substrate? We use them for the birds and they smell wonderful. Just thinking it might cut the odor a bit. :shrugs:

I have to give all of you credit for raising your own, I would much rather point and click, order and thaw. Keeping all the snakes, turtles, fish, cats, and dog clean is enough especially after cleaning and feeding animals for a living. :rolleyes:

mbdorfer
05-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Well Mike, I'll tell ya, working at PetsMart I have to clean the little buggers out twice a week, and the mice and rats are the cleanest and least smelly of the bunch. And the most friendly by far. On the other hand, hamsters are vile, digusting, evil, creatures. Their urine hardens to the point you need a paint scraper to get it off, and they do it everywhere. You never know when you're going to get a chunk taken out of you either. (Did I mention they were evil? LOL)

Does anyone use pine pellets as their substrate? We use them for the birds and they smell wonderful. Just thinking it might cut the odor a bit. :shrugs:

I have to give all of you credit for raising your own, I would much rather point and click, order and thaw. Keeping all the snakes, turtles, fish, cats, and dog clean is enough especially after cleaning and feeding animals for a living. :rolleyes:
Jen, I'm using super aspen pellets, which I get ay Petsmart. Seems real good at odor control. :cheers:

Rosebear
05-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Mike, I sure hope you have a lot better luck with this project than I have. So far I've bought two males, and 3 females, and all I've got left is the one fancy male (bought him to make SURE we had a male!). I don't bother with a dish, I let them dig. My amazingly odor free bedding is 50% Carefresh, 50% aspen and a handful of timothy hay. I think the hay is a HUGE asset! Without it I was half nauseated after about 3 days. Best of luck to you!

jazzgeek
05-15-2005, 11:28 PM
On the other hand, hamsters are vile, digusting, evil, creatures. Their urine hardens to the point you need a paint scraper to get it off, and they do it everywhere. You never know when you're going to get a chunk taken out of you either. (Did I mention they were evil? LOL)

And vile, and disgusting. Agreed!

Jen, when we clean out the tanks at your competitor :) , we temporarily hold the rodents in Critter Keepers - saves employee digits. Find out if you have any in your "store use", and see if they can be used.

You'll thank me for it, trust me.

regards,
jazz

JTGoff69
05-16-2005, 04:39 AM
Jen, when we clean out the tanks at your competitor :) , we temporarily hold the rodents in Critter Keepers - saves employee digits. Find out if you have any in your "store use", and see if they can be used.

You'll thank me for it, trust me.

regards,
jazz

ROFL Dale, you work at PetNO? :grin01:

We move them to another holder as well, BUT you still have to take them out. After the first two nasty little buggers bit me, I started scooting them into their little "dome homes" for transport. I let the night crew inspect them for wet tail, they can have the battle scars. :grin01:

jazzgeek
05-17-2005, 01:49 AM
ROFL Dale, you work at PetNO?
Ah, but "PetNo" is no longer. They've made a deal with the devil. (http://www.peta.org/feat/PETCOAgreement/default.asp) :devil01:
We move them to another holder as well, BUT you still have to take them out. After the first two nasty little buggers bit me, I started scooting them into their little "dome homes" for transport. I let the night crew inspect them for wet tail, they can have the battle scars. :grin01:
Good move! The screechy lil buggers will try to bite if you look at them wrong. :)

regards,
jazz

dwyn127
05-17-2005, 10:46 PM
This year, I'm increasing from 1 snake to 1 pet and 3 breeder pairs.

So I have this thought, "maybe I'll pick up a few mice and breed my own food; yea, that's a great idea!" :idea:

So I go to my very 1st thread on feeders and I read all your posts.

Thank you...thank you, all of you for talking me out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sidestep: :laugh:

A_Mc
05-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Well, you know what they say....the only good mouse....... :eek1: LMAO
JK...I applaud anyone that can raise their own colony. Like I said, it was too much for me. They don't stink or try to bite me when I reach in for some frozen peas..... :sidestep:

mbdorfer
05-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Well it's only been 3 weeks and there are about 10 pinkies so far! There are 2 under 1 female and about 5 under another, there are 3 that are just laying there in the open, are these being rejected for some reason? Should I do something? Any help is appreciated :wavey:

sdmessmer
05-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Well it's only been 3 weeks and there are about 10 pinkies so far! There are 2 under 1 female and about 5 under another, there are 3 that are just laying there in the open, are these being rejected for some reason? Should I do something? Any help is appreciated :wavey:

Sometimes when the mom moves around and the babies are nursing they will drop off along the way. They are not being rejected. Most of the time the mom will find them and move them back into the nest. For moms that don't have as good a maternal instinct you might have to move the wayward youngsters back to the nest. If I see pinkies with no milk in their bellies out of the nest I will always put them back. Young mothers are not as good at keeping their babies together as the more experienced moms. Its good to keep a good old mom mouse in with younger moms to learn by example. :)

mbdorfer
05-30-2005, 09:00 AM
So much for yesterdays excitement. I pulled 4 dead pinks out this morning, There is 1 still alive. I assume the others were eaten :shrugs:

Traci1
05-30-2005, 09:59 AM
my mouse story...this morning I found two carcasses (barely anything left to them) and these were fuzzy size babies. I wonder why the adults decided to eat them now? so I pulled the rest and offered them to my baby ball pythons. at least one is eating so far (they are imported CH babies)

Jessicat
05-30-2005, 10:38 AM
For moms that don't have as good a maternal instinct you might have to move the wayward youngsters back to the nest.

sorry, taking this somewhat out of context and going off it...

early interactions with their young stimulates FosB, a gene which supplies rodents with maternal inclinations.
If the FosB gene was not activated that would be an explanation for lack of "maternal instinct."
Your mouse mother may be mutant, causing FosB to remain unactive even after stimulation.
Also, there's a chance, and this i'd think has a greater possibility, that upon purchase your females were already pregnate. If so and the pinkies were not produced by the male(s) in your colony the male will kill/eat them because they are not his own.

just kinda how rodents go about their buisiness :sobstory:

breedingcolors
05-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Sorry Mike, I know this is frustating.

I am also at the beginning of my mice colony. I had to change the male because the other one was dead. And it was long before they start to make babies. But some of my females started finally to have babies. Not big litter but that is a start. Keep trying and they will make beautifull babies for you soon, and probably don't eat them anymore.
After that the problem is to kill the so cuuuute little babies that they will produce. Pinkies are not a problem (for me). But they are sooo cute when they get to fuzzie size. :awcrap:

Good luck to you and keep us inform.

Guenhwyvar
05-30-2005, 12:17 PM
So much for yesterdays excitement. I pulled 4 dead pinks out this morning, There is 1 still alive. I assume the others were eaten :shrugs:
Stupid mice...I have had similar responses when first starting with the mice.

mbdorfer
05-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks Giant BB, Guen, and girlsnake...er..I mean breedingcolors.....uh :grin01:
Should I just keep the same 3 females and 1 male for a while and see what happens next time?

breedingcolors
05-30-2005, 01:25 PM
I would do that. It seems that they really not like to be rearange all the time. Give them some time to be confortable with eachother. It should be fine.

mbdorfer
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, came home for lunch today and there is a second litter of pinks! I can see that 2 of the females are nursing them, so I'm hoping for better results with this one :wavey:

sdmessmer
06-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Well, came home for lunch today and there is a second litter of pinks! I can see that 2 of the females are nursing them, so I'm hoping for better results with this one :wavey:

If more than one female is nursing the new litter that is a very good sign! Now hopfully the male with be OK with the litter, as in he thinks they are his. If he does not he will eat them. I've found that once a litter has made it to the fuzzy stage any additional litter is safe from the male.

Silvia

mbdorfer
06-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks Silvia, just checked again and the pinks are being nursed by 2 females still, the male is hanging out in his tube. The first litter was scattered about the cage, but this one is all in 1 spot and they are feeding. I got a good feeling I'm on my way to "mice out the A** :crazy02:

mbdorfer
06-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Today is my normal cleaning day fo the mouse tank. Being that the litter was just born yesterday, Should I hold off disturbing them for a bit? Or is it OK to remove everything and clean as usual? Thanks.

kathylove
06-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Although it can be difficult to tell from photos, that mouse looks kind of old and scruffy. Did you buy full adults, or young weanlings? I usually only keep mice on the production line for one year. After that, production goes down a lot. If you bought full adult mice of unknown ages, you might consider raising up replacements sooner rather than later.

Because males can often take a beating in a young colony, I usually start with 2 males and 5 - 10 females, depending on the cage size. Once the first litter is born, I inspect both males (if they have both survived). Usually, one is smaller, more raggedy, or has bite marks near his tail. I remove him and leave the dominant male. That way I avoid starting all over again if I lose the one and only male in the colony.

I always clean them whenever it is time, and just move the mice and their babies to a new cage (cat litter pan) together. If it is their first litter, it could prove to be stressful for them, but once they get used to it, I don't notice problems.

mbdorfer
06-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks Kathy, One of the females is old the other 2 are fairly young. This is the second litter and someone is killing a few of the babies still. The first litter had zero survivors. This second litter is from one of the younger females, but the older momma has been helping her nurse the pinks