PDA

View Full Version : A little help please

A little help please

Stix
05-10-2005, 05:53 PM
My corn snake around 2yrs old and about 3 1/2ft long hasn't eaten for 2 weeks. Last week he shed so i assumed it was that and tonight i put him in his feeding box and nothing. He seemed more interested in what was around the room so i put the mouse in his viv and all he/she was doing was looking at it and then leaving it. Should i worry about him/her not eating or is 2 weeks not that long? also could it be that he was so interested in looking around the room instead of the mouse? Sorry about the long post.
Thanx.

wjohnson18
05-10-2005, 06:10 PM
My hatchling corn snake recently refused food for two weeks. The first week he was in the blue, so I didn't get too concerned. The second week I started to panic.

On a hunch I changed the source of his pinkies. The first batch I bought him he ate just fine. The second ones I purchased were a different story, it was like he didn't sense they were there. As soon as i offered him one (in the same feeding) from the first bag I purchased he became interested and ate it just fine.

I don't know how to spot a bad pinky before I purchase it, but that seems to have solved my feeding problem. Sorry if this doesn't help out.

carol
05-10-2005, 06:20 PM
It sounds like he has sensed "spring" in the air and may be looking for a mate. It is very normal for males to go off feed for weeks or even months during the spring. If he is 3 1/2 feet and in good condition, going of food will not hurt him any. I'd start offering him food only every other week and he'll start eating again when he is ready. I wouldn't really worry until it has been more than two months. Of course it never does hurt to have a fecal test done, but that is very hard to do when they are not eating. :awcrap:

Azruial
05-10-2005, 07:23 PM
2 weeks is no reason to panic, I agree with everything that carol said. Next time, you could feed in a paper bag or another opaque container just to eliminate any possibility that he/she is just freaked out by the surroundings. It probably isn't the problem, but it shouldn't hurt any - I figure that something like that is of minimal disconvenience to you, so even if it's just a 1% chance, why not give it a try?

Stix
05-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanx everyone i'll try offering food every other week like you said and maybe in a different container. He seems fine very active etc so i'm not worrying to much. :)

MegF.
05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
My male went off feed for 3 months and did just fine. He lost about 60 grams over the long haul, but as he was almost 480 grams to begin with, he did fine. He's now eating like a champ again and is putting the weight back on. I'm sure your's is just looking for a little lovin'!