PDA

View Full Version : I think my snake is broken...

I think my snake is broken...

Torch
05-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Well, not really...but heres the deal.

He shed a couple weeks ago, (no issues there...I came home to find a completely hollow snake from nose to tailtip) and now for whatever reason, I can't get him to eat.

First, I thought the pinkies were too big (which they probably were), so I got some smaller ones...still nothing.

Lil guy hasn't eaten in like 3 weeks or so now, and I can't quite figure out what the problem is. :(

zwyatt
05-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Depending on the age it could be that he is in breeding mode. How old is the snake?

Torch
05-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Not very...hang on...

Torch
05-11-2005, 01:32 AM
well...apparently I can't edit my posts here.

I got him a week before the 26 of March...and he was a lil guy then...and he's still a little guy. No clue what age he is though.

Torch
05-11-2005, 01:33 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/448000-448999/448785_70_full.jpg

See? little.

zwyatt
05-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Yeah, he does look fairly young still, but sometimes size can be deceiving with respect to age. If it isn't that he is "looking of love" then I'm not 100% sure on what to tell you. Have you been feeding all live or all f/t? Sometimes if you change food type they can be picky.

Torch
05-11-2005, 01:49 AM
all f/t.

I'm about to give in and try and find some live tomorrow and see if that works.

zwyatt
05-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Well, you can always try snapping the head off of a frozen pinky and offering the head or body once its thawed. That way the smell might entice him. How long have you had him? I guess he has been eating the f/t thawed well since you had him and now just after his shed stopped right?

Torch
05-11-2005, 02:48 AM
it's been a couple weeks since his shed stopped, but yeah...after that he hasn't touched anything.

Did you say...snap the head off? Ack...damn. :-puke01:

E. g. guttata
05-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Lil guy hasn't eaten in like 3 weeks or so now, and I can't quite figure out what the problem is. :(

First thing I suggest is minimizing stress, feeding at night, and making sure you have the snake in an enclosure that puts him in close proximity of the mouse without cramping him. IF at this point it doesn't work, the next thing to do is repeat everything mentioned above, but also to cut the mouse's head open (called braining) or, and I've found this works about equally as well, cutting the mouse accross the back two or three times. If none of that works, I would try moving to lizzards. Sometimes their dietary wants change at that young of an age suddenly from mice to lizzards. Dunno why, but it does sometimes happen. If this is the case, I would go get a green anole to start with (you will have to freeze it) and start by offering a leg to see if the snake shows any interest. If you strike out on this, I'm all out of ideas......

MegF.
05-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Sometimes gutting a thawed pinky will help. I noticed when a couple of my frozen miceburst open at the belly, the smell really bumped up my snake's feeding response. As yucky as it sounds, a little bit of intestine near the head got mine to eat when he seemed uninterested.