PDA

View Full Version : ? for blckkat, and anyone else...

? for blckkat, and anyone else...

Traci1
05-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know if it is ok to use the cat litter version of Yesterdays News for mice/rat bedding rather than the small animal version? The cat litter version is less expensive for some reason.

thanks!

Jynx
05-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I think its perfetly fine. My nephew uses it for his hamster since they buy it for the cat anyways and he has no problems. Since it is pretty absorbant, I would think it may work better than other kinds of bedding. And I'm sure that both versions are pretty much the same as well. There can only be so many ways to pellet newpaper

Chris@TPR
05-12-2005, 11:56 AM
One thing to watch out for with the ultra absorbant beddings is if you have females with babies put something in for them to make a nest with. The pinks can become dehydrated rather quickly. Had this happen with one of those pelleted aspen beddings. They absorb wastes very well and if the pinks are in contact with the bedding they can become dehydrated and possibly die. Just something to look out for :)

sdmessmer
05-12-2005, 12:13 PM
One thing to watch out for with the ultra absorbant beddings is if you have females with babies put something in for them to make a nest with. The pinks can become dehydrated rather quickly. Had this happen with one of those pelleted aspen beddings. They absorb wastes very well and if the pinks are in contact with the bedding they can become dehydrated and possibly die. Just something to look out for :)

....give the mothers something to make a nest with. I use paper shreds from my home office shredder. I will sometimes throw in a bit of toilet paper. The mothers take the bedding and make a cute little nest around the babies.

Willow771
05-12-2005, 02:27 PM
if your looking for an even cheaper version of yesterdays news (and yes its safe ive always used this with my rats, breeding rats and babies) Go for Crown Royal Animal Bedding.

you could also go for Carefresh. I have used this for a stint and was quite happy with it (made with the same materials). but i went back to yesterdays news/Crown Royal Animal Bedding because theyres something about that smell fresh outta the bag that hooks you

TripleMoonsExotic
05-17-2005, 02:27 AM
sorry i missed this until just now...

yes, the cat litter version of yesterdays news works the same as the small animal. it seems to be shaped a little different, but i've had no problems with that.

i've found the best thing to offer the rodents for bedding (and a snack) is to add a handful of alfalfa. they nest with it, eat it...and it helps with smell.