PDA

View Full Version : New born pinkie mice

New born pinkie mice

cowtownherper
05-12-2005, 03:38 PM
My mouse guy has offered to give me some live new born pinkie mice when my hatchling corns are born. Unfortunatly he cant always deliver on the day that I place the order. I would like to time it so that I have fresh pinks when the babies have their first shed. How long can you keep pinkie mice alive after they are taken from their mother? Thanks

Gallagher
05-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Not long... I havent found they can live much more then a day... if that... some live a bit longer... but on average about a day lol

Angel

cowtownherper
05-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Thats about what I figured. I think Im gonna see if I can talk him out of a breeder with a bunch of babies. I can always find a hungry mouth to feed.

Hurley
05-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Also keep in mind that the longer they have been taken away from their mother, the less nutricious they will be. Snakes, being carnivores, rely at least as much on the gut contents of their prey as on the prey themselves. This is where the bulk of their vitamins comes from. A condition of skin splitting/tearing of the neck just due to simple ingestion of a meal has been reported in snakes that were routinely fed live mice that had been fasted 6-8 hours (by the time the vendor brings them to the show, then they get taken home, then get fed...you can easily reach this time of fasting). Although snakes do make vitamin C to varying degrees, sometimes their need for it exceeds their production. Rodents who have been fasted do not provide the higher levels found in the ingesta and feces of well-fed rodents and this leads to weakening of the skin and tearing with very little force.

This is just one condition reported from feeding fasted rodents. Just remember, when feeding live, feed as soon as possible after eating or after taking from the nest. The most nutritious rodents are those that have eaten more recently (or were euthanized and frozen immediately without a fast).

mbdorfer
05-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I've actually had pinks stay alive for 3 days!

princess
05-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I think it's quite sad to take the live pinks away from their mum and expect them to exist a cople of days. The locl reptile place gets pinks and fuzzies delivered twice a week and they seem to survive a few days as long as they stay warm. You know, you'd be better off getting a trio of mice now and breeding up a little supply for the freezer. If you take away all but 4 pinks (leave some to suckle) and freeze them, you'll have a good little supply to last a couple of months once the hatchlings come. I want to do it that way but I've been told NO in no uncertain terms by my normally quite permissive boyfriend. I bred them last year and used our balcony and he values using the balcony for entertaining too much to let me do it again this year...Ah well, frozen it is!

cowtownherper
05-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the very informative replies. My clutch is only on day 33, so I still have some time. I am calling my mouse guy on monday to see if he can hook me up with a couple of breeders so I can have a fresh supply when my babies are born. I have raised my own mice in the past. Time to break out the rack again.