PDA

View Full Version : Lizard scenting

Lizard scenting

princess
05-16-2005, 04:03 PM
I know it's common to use anole as a scenter becasue it's a natural prey creature for corns, but I was wondering about other lizards??

I was thinking about getting a couple of Leopard geckos (cos I like them) and thought that one of the 'reasons' I could feed my boyfriend about why I 'need' leo's is for scenting. Anoles are cute and all but I like the look of Leo's better so do you think it would work? I was thinking of stealing a little piece of shed skin from the leos from time to time to 'cloak' the pinks on stubborn feeders...would this work or do they not recognise it as food because they come from different parts of the world???

JTGoff69
05-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Though I have no proof, I would think that skin from a leopard gecko would be of no consequence. Anoles, on the other hand, are in a corn's normal range of prey. I'm sure others will have more opinions, this is just my PO. :shrugs:

moreptiles
05-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I have tried fed geckos and pinkies scented with gecko's, but anoles work much better. But let me warn you against using lizard scenting unless nothing else works. If you have just a plain picky eater, or a snake that has just skipped a few meals due to shedding or some other cause, if you get it eating lizard scented mice, sometimes it is very difficult to get them back to eating unscented.

Mark

Forrest
05-22-2005, 04:24 PM
This is interesting. So far, I've had no problems feeding my corns frozen pinkies. I just assume the pinkies have smell on them already. And mice should be a part of a corn's natural diet.

I have a leopard gecko, Foggy. He/she (haven't checked the sex for lack of a reason to) is great! They're realy fun to watch eat, etc. I probably won't ever use Foggy to scent mice.