PDA

View Full Version : Problem eater

Problem eater

tooky
05-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Last fall I took possession of Bob. Bob is about 7 years old and approx 3 feet long. Am not actually sure if Bob is male or female. He belongs to my niece who had to move away to go to school and couldn't take him with her.

He was doing fine until January when he seemed to go dormant. Then when he was coming out of dormancy I fed him a mouse that was too big. He regurgitated the mouse, but since then has not wanted to eat.

In desperation I put some pinkies in tonight, and while he tried to eat one, he seemed to gag on it, and managed to get it out of his mouth. He is still hungry, but seems unable to eat.

What can I do? AM not sure that I can force feed effectively.

Thanks
Tooky

MegF.
05-19-2005, 12:44 AM
I would get the snake checked by a vet if he's unable to swallow. A 3 ft. snake should easily eat a pinky. My 3 ft female is eating large adult mice. Your's should be able to as well. It sounds like more going on than feeding a too large food item. We tend to feed smaller than they can eat anyway. If they can get it down, they usually do alright. Yours could have parasites or something else that caused regurge and the inability to eat, or you could have an ovulating female that has some eggs in her and doesn't have room for food. They sometimes produce infertile eggs without having been bred.