PDA

View Full Version : Shermy ate a mouse!

Shermy ate a mouse!

snoopysnake
05-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Poor Shermy..he's been anorexic and I took over the force feeding last fall after the vet showed me how. He thought eventually Shermy would come around and eat again. I've been trying him on a mouse after each shed...well today he finally ate on his own! I'm so happy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next feed!

princess
05-20-2005, 08:11 AM
yay!!! It's so nice when they stop making you worry all the time!
My amel just ate her first meal since the 30th of march today (she was gravid and layed in that time...but still, made me worry like mad) which makes me happy.

How old is your snake? Has he always been a problem feeder?

snoopysnake
05-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Shermy was about a year old when I got him in late 2001, so he's four now. He ate just fine for about a year and then began refusing more and more often till he quit eating altogether about 1 year ago. He did have some parasites, which we treated with antibiotics (poor Shermy! and poor me having to give my beloved snake all those shots!) but he still would not eat. The herp vet thought it was probably psychological since we had ruled out everything else. We had experimented with heat, light, location, and such things. He said he's seen quite a few cases where all of a sudden, out of nowhere, the snake will start eating again.

I have a web page for Shermy: http://www.snoopysnake.com/shermy.htm where you can see some pictures of him.

MegF.
05-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Males go off feed this time of year due to love fever. I hope you weren't force feeding your snake for no reason. Mine went off food for 3 months and is none the worse for wear.

DdotSpot
05-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Good to hear that he ate...let us know if he eats his next meal.

snoopysnake
05-26-2005, 07:16 PM
He really wanted this one, too! Went for it immediately. I'm so happy!!! I think Shermy is happy too.

I'd been taking Shermy to the herp vet for some time before the force feeding began. Yes, it truly was a last resort. He was getting really skinny. And, getting him a wife didn't work...she ate fine, but he still had anorexia. I'd even take him over to Shirley's "restaurant" (feeding cage) while she was eating to take a look at what he was missing, but he just ignored all mice until last week.

So, hopefully, I now have two happy, healthy, corn snakes who eat!!!

Guenhwyvar
05-27-2005, 01:11 PM
YAY! So happy for you :D !!

MegF.
05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Good news!! Glad to hear everything is back to normal.

snoopysnake
06-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Shermy ate another one tonight! 3 weeks in a row! I'm so proud of him!