PDA

View Full Version : What do i do now?

What do i do now?

Stix
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
All i seem to do is ask for help on here, sorry if i'm annoying. Well after 22days of not eating my snake finally ate 9 days ago. Today i put a defrosted mouse in his viv on some paper and he constricted it straight away scaring me to death by the way lol then he started to eat it then decided not to bother and left it alone.The mouse is bigger than his normal ones could this be why? He is still looking for food would it be ok to buy him a smaller mouse and feed him that tomorrow?
Thanx.

NI GUY
05-26-2005, 04:47 PM
What age/size is your corn? I would leave my corns a min of 3/4 days before feeding again if there young.When you give it the bigger mouse did it put a slight bulge it?It has to be a max of 1 1/2 times the size of the biggest part of its body.I find to that my younger shy corn wont feed if someone is watching it so cover the tank it might help. Hope this helps you out mate.
Good luck

Stix
05-26-2005, 06:07 PM
He's about 2 years old and 3 1/2" i think i'll get him a smaller mouse and feed him again in a few days. he's still looking for food i think he maybe thought the mouse was to big. Thanx for the help. :)

princess
05-26-2005, 06:15 PM
At that size he can comfortable handle a small adult mouse like a 5 week old or a bit bigger even. It's better to err on the side of caution though. Try a young adult mouse and see how much of a bump in the belly it leaves behind. If the bump is barely there straight after he's eaten then move up a fraction. If you're picking a good sized mouse and your temperatures are good, the lump will be gone by 24 hours or so, perhaps a little longer if it's an exceptionally large meal but if that's the case, it's better to go down a size again.

I mix it up a bit with mine. Sometimes I'll feed a mouse that's a really good effort for the snake to get down and then I'll let it go a little longer between feeds and follow on with a few smaller mice for a few feeds just to mix it up. Once you get a good feel for what your snake works well with you might want to do something like that too. In the wild, they don't get 1 perfect sized item every 5 days!!! -it might be a few weeks or perhaps even a couple of months between meals and sometimes the opportunity to stuff itself full with a nest of baby birds comes up.

Corns are very adaptable and that in part is one of the reasons they're so popular as pets....besides the rainbow of morphs to keep tempting us to get 'just one more'!!!