PDA

View Full Version : Tail rattle while feeding

Tail rattle while feeding

davina
05-26-2005, 07:29 PM
On our last feed, we noticed the mouse started to rattle its tail when our snake got close. I've never seen this before, and I'm guessing it confused our snake, Zeus. The last couple of feeds, he quickly ate the mouse, but this time, he struck at the mouse but didn't bite it. This happened a few times.... mouse rattles tail, Zeus pokes at the mouse. After about 10 mins of this, I closed up the box and left the room. Came back after 10 mins. and found that Zeus eventually caught the mouse and began swallowing it.

Have you guys ever seen a mouse rattle its tail at your corn? This is a first for us! :shrugs:

--DV

unearthed_alz
05-26-2005, 07:40 PM
hey.ive never heard of a mouse rattling its tail but then again i dont know too much about mice.
my guess is that the mouse was trying to protect itself by making itself out to be what it isnt.and your corn obviously sees the mouse more of a threat than food to begin,hence the striking and not eating.

my advice to you is to feed on pre-killed mice.live food can encourage a feeding behaviour,but your corn sounds like he may have problems with live food in the future.

hope this helps!

Guenhwyvar
05-26-2005, 07:54 PM
I've seen mice rattle their tails before, but usually its because of fear.

unearthed_alz
05-26-2005, 07:56 PM
probably a more viable explanation of the mouse tail!nice one guenhwyvar!

davina
05-26-2005, 08:43 PM
I've seen mice rattle their tails before, but usually its because of fear.

that's my guess too. it sounded just like when zeus rattles his tail!

--DV

A_Mc
05-26-2005, 11:01 PM
:wavey: I would recommend 'stunning' the mouse (or killing it) prior to feeding. Live mice can inflict some nasty damage on your snake....Here is a link to a thread--It has some graphic pictures of snakes that have been bitten by live mice left in their cage.....
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20035&highlight=live+mice+feeding
Cheers!

Guenhwyvar
05-27-2005, 01:10 PM
:wavey: I would recommend 'stunning' the mouse (or killing it) prior to feeding. Live mice can inflict some nasty damage on your snake....Here is a link to a thread--It has some graphic pictures of snakes that have been bitten by live mice left in their cage.....
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20035&highlight=live+mice+feeding
Cheers!
[AGREE] MUCH safer if you stun/kill it BEFORE feeding it to your little one. Its not just a rare occurance for your snake to get bitten if feeding live, its inevitable.

Nichademus
05-27-2005, 01:27 PM
apparently you don't know anything about mice. it was just happy to make a new friend. mice wag their tails like dogs when they're happy!
the snake wasn't 'striking'... its obviously a breed descended from europe , that was just a kiss 'hello'. :wavey:

Guenhwyvar
05-27-2005, 02:13 PM
apparently you don't know anything about mice. it was just happy to make a new friend. mice wag their tails like dogs when they're happy!
the snake wasn't 'striking'... its obviously a breed descended from europe , that was just a kiss 'hello'. :wavey:
ROFL...uhh I don't think so. LOL!

PtDnsr
05-27-2005, 04:39 PM

:roflmao: Hehe...sorry, that was funny.

To actually add a bit to the thread...you mentioned that you closed the box up and left the room. Even if you decide to keep feeding live NEVER leave the mouse in with the snake. So many things could happen in a heartbeat. It's better not to take the chance, so stay around and keep an eye on the two.

~Katie

Joejr14
05-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Cheers!

I am sorry, but no mouse did that to that ball python. That was a rat, without a doubt.

A_Mc
05-27-2005, 07:11 PM
I am sorry, but no mouse did that to that ball python. That was a rat, without a doubt.
:rolleyes: I stand corrected.....Let me re-phrase.
Ok then, a live RODENT should not be left in the cage with your snake.... :cheers:

Guenhwyvar
05-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Wow, that picture is disgusting...I hope they culled that BP, GEEZ that's bad.

Drizzt80
05-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Speaking from personal experience . . . the first year I worked in a pet store (this was 15 years ago now) a fellow employee left a mouse in with a young burmese python. Next morning the mouse was very much alive and the snake was very much dead. [graphic] Peeled completely clean of his skin. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it, and yes it was a mouse and not a rat.

D80

Guenhwyvar
05-29-2005, 12:49 AM
I believe it Drizzt, those little meeces can be vicious little creatures.