PDA

View Full Version : Going for seconds...

Going for seconds...

carol
05-26-2005, 09:32 PM
I didn't know kings double clutched, never really gave it any thought or research. My female just seemed to have lumps again so I cautiously put them together and look what happened....

magick-bears
06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Carol,

I didn't know you did Black Kings. That looks like a very nice pair. Would love a pair if you have any available.

Thanks,
Jeff C.

carol
06-21-2005, 09:56 PM
The first clutch is due sometime this week, that is, if they incubate the same as corns, lol. I'll update you when they start to hatch! I only have one adult pair, I mainly got them for garbage disposals, but I also think they are amazingly beautiful. Who says you can't get Beauty and Functionality?

CornCrazy
06-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Beautiful snakes, Carol! The incubation time is very similar to corns, by the way :D

magick-bears
06-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Yep they are beautiful. I have always loved Black Kings. I have a pair on order from a breeder down here who also has one pair. So if I get a pair or trio from you I can have unrelated breeders :)

Jeff C.

carol
06-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks Terri, they are the only thing that allowed me and my hubby to let go of those Black Rats. We both really loved them but knew we needed the space and saying "at least we'll still have the Black Kings" really helped. LOL.

CornCrazy
06-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks Terri, they are the only thing that allowed me and my hubby to let go of those Black Rats. We both really loved them but knew we needed the space and saying "at least we'll still have the Black Kings" really helped. LOL.Well, I'm glad you let them go! They are awesome! I LOVE them!

magick-bears
06-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks Terri, they are the only thing that allowed me and my hubby to let go of those Black Rats. We both really loved them but knew we needed the space and saying "at least we'll still have the Black Kings" really helped. LOL.
Carol,

Those aren't the Licorice Black Rats you got at Anaheim you let go, are they? Those were some nice looking snakes.

~Jeff C.

carol
06-21-2005, 11:23 PM
No, I still have those two. They are still small enough for me to handle, hopefully by the time they get big I'll have more room! :roflmao: One can hope anyway. Terri got some great "Normals" if you can call them that, from Dwight's super solid black line. I was on the waiting list for a long time so Dwight was very accommodating in sending me a great pair. But can't keep 'em all and my sanity at the same time. :rolleyes:

CornCrazy
06-22-2005, 06:00 AM
Speaking of licorice rats...it's one of the reasons I am thrilled to have these. I am interested in breeding them with my licorice rats (eventually) in order to see if the pattern on them can be darkened up without cluttering up the side pattern. Of course, it will take me several years to actually get licorice babies, but it'll be fun anyway!

I never expected to like non-corn rat snakes as much as I do! I am now up to 11 (I think). I'll have to go count them to findout for sure! LOL

Edit:
Yep...it's 11. I have 0.1 leucistic Texas Rat, 1.1 licorice black rats (pos het albino), 0.1 black rat het licorice (possible het albino), 1.1 black rats from Dwight's dark line, 1.1 albino yellow rats, 1.1 brindle black rats, and 0.1 white oak phase gray rat.

Taceas
06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Beautiful snakes! I love how kingsnakes are so shiny when black, looks like patent leather. Or at the very least Darth Vader's pets. ;)

How is their temperment compared to other kings?

Jynx
07-14-2005, 03:53 PM
I've always loved the black kings almost more than any others! I was thinking about picking up a spotted king from renegade reps (I call them motleys and people look at me like I have two heads) for a while there, but just never got around to it. Make sure you post pics when the eggs hatch! :)

carol
07-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Sorry Misty! I never saw your question until today? Mine have great temperments, but I have talked to others who have fiesty ones. I may have some available sooner than that Jynx, I have 7 that have taken their first meal and only 2.2 spoken for!

Edmund
07-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Are those Black Kings the same thing as a Mexican Black King or Nigritus Lampropeltus (I think...?)? I had one for about six months and loved his color and eagerness to eat. Unfortunately mine was so flighty and prone to musking and the occasional nip that I never gave him as much handling time to calm him down, and I eventually sold him.

Jynx
07-15-2005, 11:41 AM
I may have some available sooner than that Jynx, I have 7 that have taken their first meal and only 2.2 spoken for!

pics pics!

carol
08-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Well, here you can see why it has taken so long, these are the best ones I have come up with. I guess I need more lighting to take pics of these guys, and they are a bit more squirmy than corns. The first few pics are of some really nice examples, the last pic is one of the so-so critters.