PDA

View Full Version : Another Crisis Averted

Another Crisis Averted

daisy
05-30-2005, 11:19 AM
I just love reading all of the success stories and anecdotes on this site, so I thought I would share another of mine.
Harriet (the new amel), had yet to eat. We're talking 3 plus weeks, and while I know better than to panic at this point, I can't help worrying. She's only eaten 4 times in her young life and is quite skinny. I'm also used to Chester (aka-piglet) who could be tossed on a desk infront of a huge audience with a mouse and would eat with gusto. The performance of his life.
Now, I don't have ready access to live feeders, so wasn't able to work that option. I did try a bunch of things every few days (leave her overnite, try different containers, offer the food in her viv, snip, sing, dance and stand on my head).
This morning, I tried again. After a few hours she still hadn't gone for it, so I went in with my tweezers to get it out. She's really quite wild, and put on a great show...rattling and striking at me. I decided to tease her with the mouse to see if I could get her to strike. After chasing her around a bit, whammo, she nailed it, and subsequently ate that little mouse with reckless abandon.
Hurray! Who knew keeping cornsnakes would be like having children?! I can't believe the time I spend worrying about them and reading stuff...not to mention the time I spend here....oh well...I suppose it could be worse!
Thanks for letting me share!

breedingcolors
05-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Great Daisy!

I am happy for you! It is true that these one are a little like our kids lol. Some of mine are still in my hands when they start to eat and some need the light out to be able to do it. So funny how everyone of them is different. Congrats on this victory. Hope next time it will be easier. :)

dionythicus
05-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I've got a yearling doofus corn that I have to tease feed. He's getting better about eating without too much prey movement, but I still have to wiggle it in front of his nose a few times.

sircat
05-30-2005, 11:58 PM
congrats....good to hear stories with good turnouts