PDA

View Full Version : sheeding

sheeding

soultaker
06-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey! excuse my english im from sweden =p
my snake have sometimes sheeding probs.. she doesent sheed in 1 piece allways.... i guess its to dry when that happends, i try to have look once in a while when i thing she is going to sheed and spray a litle water on her .. and it juse to come of in 1 nice piece..
but this last time i missed that and the head part whas sheed in many small pieces while the rest whas in 1 big piece. and she got rid of all the skin but not under her head "neck", and for the last like 5 days she has been running around trying to get it away .. but it wouldent let go .. and she didnet eat either...
but today i took her out .. tryied to wett the skin up a bit and hold her head and hold the skin and let her go so the skin went off .. here comes the question =) is that ok ? to help her sheed if it doesent come of it self after a while? i know its not good if there be skin left after sheeding?

thanx for reeding all this and answer me =)

soultaker
06-03-2005, 02:06 PM
a pick .. doesent show mutch but..

gardenmum
06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes, it is ok to help your snake shed if the shedding goes bad. In fact, not only ok but necessary. You don't want to leave dead skin on the snake, especially if it is on the tail. On the end of the tail, once a shed stays and dries up then the next shed will only come off to that point and the rest stay again. Till eventually the tail tip looses blood flow and dies. So definitely help the snake if it needs it.

I have a suggestion though to help this out. Instead of misting, put a humid hide in the container with the snake. You can make one easily using a plastic food container like soft margarine comes in or cool whip or whatever. Just make sure the container is sized properly for the snake to be able to curl up comfortably in it. Cut a hole big enough for the snake to go in into the side of the container. Put air holes in the top of the container and put either wet paper towels or damp peat moss in it. I prefer the peat moss since paper towels dry out fast and have to be checked often to keep them moist. Make sure the peat moss is damp but not with water puddled in it. Put the cover on and put into the container with the snake. Don't put the humid hide directly over or under the heat source but in a spot where it can stay moderately warm. The snake will love this and it will provide the moisture it needs to have a perfect shed.

Good luck. :)

soultaker
06-03-2005, 02:58 PM
ok .. thanx alot!
i will make a box thill next time^^ .. its just the moss i dont realy know where to get .. in a pet store ? and if there is a sweed reeding this plz write what that moss name is in swedish.
thanx again!

breedingcolors
06-03-2005, 04:25 PM
You can find it in any garden shop.

MegF.
06-03-2005, 10:41 PM
You can always use wet paper towel if you can't find the moss. I start misting my vivs when they turn blue until they shed. I haven't had a problem when I've done that. I just soak the wood of their branches and hider log, and mist the glass each day and it works real well.