PDA

View Full Version : geez .... why am i so nervous?

geez .... why am i so nervous?

bullfrog
08-14-2002, 04:24 AM
Hey guys .... i was wondering is there any reason im afraid to hold my corn snake? Im just scared that she is going to bite me
(adult). Does it hurt like a cat bite? Whats the worst that could happen if it bites me and how much pressure do thier jaws have? How am i able to get the snakes mouth off of me if she really chomps down? Thanks

Katie
08-14-2002, 08:17 AM
Kenster pretty much covered everything except that you should probably leave the female alone for a couple of weeks because she's laying. You could probably start handling the male for short periods of time in a couple of days.

Reptiles stress easily and they should be allowed to get adjusted to their new homes before being handled.

CORNSANDMORE
08-14-2002, 12:51 PM
well u should befine if it does bite u,the worst i can imaagain is a bee sting feeling,but yes to let settle in for a day or so.then it should befine

Ryan

MichellesCreatures
08-14-2002, 03:08 PM
In case you do get bit and she decides she doesn't want to let go....don't pull her off...just take her to the sink and run hot water over her nose for a sec. Yes hot....I know alot of people say cold....but when you've had a 5 foot boa stuck to your hand, cold takes awhile....they respond much quicker to hot :)
I've been bit a thousand times and its always a surprise but honestly with my biggest 4 1/2 foot male cornsnake it doesn't hurt all that much.

bullfrog
08-14-2002, 03:22 PM
Well they are about 41/2 feet...... sounds kinda painful. Well when they came out last night they yawned and all i can say is OMG do they have big mouths!! I looked for teeth but could only see thier gums .... are thier teeth really that small? How far do they go in your arm if they bite? thanks

Kat
08-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Think pinpricks in terms of adult bite strength... It's nothing to worry about, although the strike might startle you. If you do get bitten, just clean the wound out and put a bandaid on it.

Baby corns can't even pierce the skin. :)

bullfrog
08-15-2002, 02:47 AM
well i got home from bowling tonight and she had pooped in her water bowl so I changed the water. As i took it out she put her head up and looked at me. So i just though what the heck and took her out for her first bonding session. She is a real explorer! She ended up going up my shirt ... through my belt loop holes wrapped around the arm of a chair and she even fell asleep on my brother kevin! She is super calm. I will definatly be taking out the male tommorrow..... feeding day *insert evil grin*. The funny thing about the whole deal was ... i wasnt nervous one bit! ( no pun intended). I cant wait till i can hold her again ... this time mabey for about 15 mins.

Katie
08-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Do I have you confused with someone else? I thought for sure it was you who said that your snake was laying eggs either yesterday or the day before. If it's not you I do apologise but if it was your snake that was laying eggs you need to leave her alone (especially if she is not done, and it does not sound like she is). Since the snakes are new you should not be handling them for a few days anyway. They need time to get adjusted to their new home and new environment.

Again, if it wasn't you then I apologize.

bullfrog
08-15-2002, 08:00 PM
well today is feeding day .... do i still feed her even though she just layed eggs? She is curled up under a shirt that i put in the tank. The male seems interested every time i reach in the cage so ill put him in a seperate tank to feed him ( 10 gallon) then when he is done ill put him back in and tke out the remaining eggs.