PDA

View Full Version : is this a 'regular' mouse fuzzy?

is this a 'regular' mouse fuzzy?

larryg
06-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I ask because I know the snake I was trying to feed the two fuzzies to, both identical, won't eat rat pinkies or fuzzies, and she refused these. Normally she eats mouse fuzzies as soon as she sees them. The hair and heads seem a little different from what I'm used to seeing (at least I think so.) I took one out of the cage and fed it to my 20 or 21 inch Miami male, and the other one will be left in for at least a few more hours, to see if she'll eat. She ate about a week ago, so she's not starving.

JM :o)
06-04-2005, 10:51 PM
looks pretty normal to me. Nice and fat, no extra skin hanging, can't see the bones in the tail, hair is not nappy~ looks like a nice, fat, healthy fuzzie.

Maybe your girls just not hungry right now.

mbdorfer
06-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Looks like a pudgie to me.(rat fuzzy)

Joejr14
06-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Looks like a pudgie to me.(rat fuzzy)

Me too. Those 'paws' just seem way way too big to be a mouse fuzzy.

larryg
06-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Based on the other ones I've seen, these (there were two) must be some dwarf rats or very stunted rat fuzzies. Usually a rat fuzzy is a big meal for my 3 foot snake (different snake... this one is about 24 inches and won't touch any rat). The thing I notice is the shape and size of the head, but I see what you mean about the feet. I just happened to turn on the light and see that she was checking out the remaining fuzzy, but I'll be surprised if she eats it at this point, given she usually snaps them up right away. Here's a possibly better pic.

Joejr14
06-04-2005, 11:35 PM
That's definitely a rat fuzzy.

Here's a picture of a rat fuzzy from Rodentpro. They say their rat fuzzies are between 2-2.5". That should give you some idea.

Btw, a 3 foot snake should be able to handle a rat pup without much of a problem. Rat fuzzies are about the size of hoppers, rat pups are about the size of adult mice.

http://www.rodentpro.com/images/size_r_fuzzies.jpg

06-04-2005, 11:54 PM
rat fuzzies have shorter tails in comparison to body size, and they are just bigger than that.

I still think it's a fat mouse fuzzy

Joejr14
06-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Here's a mouse fuzzy, for comparison.

http://www.rodentpro.com/images/size_m_fuzzies.jpg

06-05-2005, 12:03 AM
yep~ see the longer tails on those mice?

And compare the first pic of the critter in question. See the newspaper behind it? Look at the size of the letter compared to the critter. A rat PINKIE is BORN the size that fuzzy critter is. I think it's a fat mouse fuzzy~ but I could be wrong! Just my opinion

larryg
06-05-2005, 12:08 AM
That's definitely a rat fuzzy.

Here's a picture of a rat fuzzy from Rodentpro. They say their rat fuzzies are between 2-2.5". That should give you some idea.

Btw, a 3 foot snake should be able to handle a rat pup without much of a problem. Rat fuzzies are about the size of hoppers, rat pups are about the size of adult mice.

http://www.rodentpro.com/images/size_r_fuzzies.jpg

That's about the same size. It looks like maybe a tail broke off in the RodentPro photo (?) I just gave it a 'bath' and dried it off to get off any bad smells and put it back in with the snake. I'll leave it overnight, just to see what happens. Btw, the rat pinkies I have been getting are as big as hoppers and the rat fuzzies have been as big as med. adult mice. It also seems to act more like a rat, for what that's worth (based on the ones I've seen.)

larryg
06-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Here's a mouse fuzzy, for comparison.

http://www.rodentpro.com/images/size_m_fuzzies.jpg

The mice have sleeker, narrower heads, in my opinion.

larryg
06-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I ended up feeding it to the smaller female Miami, only about 16 maybe 17 inches long. I questioned whether it would be too big for her, but she handled it just fine. People still feeding their 20 inch snakes pinkies ('afraid to move up in size' posts) would probably have thought it would be WAY too big, but it didn't seem to be too big at all, based on the time it took for her to eat it and the size of the lump.

mbdorfer
06-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Glad to hear it didn't go to waste!.......lol
I still say it's a rat, I've bought enough of them to where I can tell them apart pretty easily. One other thing, the rat pups and pudgies have a totally different odor to them, after a while there's no mistaking the smell :cheers: