PDA

View Full Version : GP ratsnake health question

GP ratsnake health question

David_F
06-09-2005, 05:09 AM
Hey all,

I've had my GP ratsnake for a bit over a year now. I'm pretty sure it's a male and he's about 36" long now, give or take an inch or two. I've recently moved him into a sweater box because I needed to make some room and a few things about the snake have changed. First of all, he's pooping way too frequently and it's got a lot of liquid in it. I've read through most of the threads here Re: runny/watery feces and am glad to see it's something that probably shouldn't worry me. I am still a bit concerned though. In the past week he's poo'd four times (twice on Wednesday). Usually, it's once or twice about three days after feeding. I haven't changed his diet any (though I am thinking of switching him to rats soon). He's also become really aggitated within the past couple weeks. He won't allow me to handle him for more than a minute or two at a time and the first time I cleaned his tub out Wed. he escaped (my fault :awcrap: ). When I found him it took me about ten minutes to catch him. When I was finally able to get him I actually had to use a snake hook to keep him calm and from biting me (this was actually quite fun :)). He also musked and whipped me with his tail. This is very unusual for him. There is good ventilation in the tub but the humidity must be higher than usual. Temps have been above average lately as well. No visible/audible signs of resp. infection or other ailments.

So, after boring you with this long, drawn out story do you think this is anything I should be concerned with? Is it simply a "male thing", could he be sick, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

dionythicus
06-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm also having an issue with my GP rat. I moved him into a sweater box three weeks ago and he hasn't eaten since. His attitude is fine, but I'm wondering if they are more sensitive to the change in their environment than corns. If anyone has any experience with this, please help.

David_F
06-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Thanks for reading, everyone.

I decided to go ahead and just take a fecal sample in to the vet since I was taking one in for a ball python anyway. Turns out all is fine. Must just be the change in enclosure coupled with the temp/humidity changes here in Kansas.

Dionythicus,

Is yours a male as well? Is it breeding size? What are your temps like? Are you using a lid on the sweater box or is it in a rack system? With mine, I'm thinking that the lid is restricting ventilation and causing the humidity to build up. That, along with higher temps could be my snakes problem. I'm going to add more air holes to the tub and lid until I get a viv for him. It seems to work for the other animals I keep so I'll give it a shot. Maybe if you tweak his environmental conditions a bit he'll start eating again for you.

Good luck with your snake. :)