PDA

View Full Version : ~~ Sore on Nose~~ Breathing funny~~

~~ Sore on Nose~~ Breathing funny~~

Riotpooffairy
06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi...I came across your forum....hoping to look for some info on my corn!

He shed today and when i went to clean out his cage I noticed....he was weezing some...I took him out and saw a sore spot...brownish on his top part of his nose!....(he is a orange-cream-sicle corn cnake) and I took a q tip and water and tried to see if it was dirt or debris from his shed...it did not come off....but his weezing sounds worrysome....I have no info on this snake....how old or where he came from it was dumped on me!....I have had him for a year now....he eats OK....sometimes...he regurges....but im still trying to learn on how to take care of a corn...the only other snake I have is a garter snake( my step-son picked him up)...and he had been living in captivity for 5 years...and doing very well!

If you could please help me with some of my concerns and Issues with Snake care i wouyld be very thankful!!!

thank you!

Melanie

Oh yeah by the way...his name is Prometheus!

Derek_cornsnake
06-09-2005, 11:56 PM
i would give him a soak in a warm but not hot nor cold bath. First of all it gives him sum exercise and after that put him in a towel and let him get his way out. They if it is still bad i would call a vet. That is what i heard

MegF.
06-10-2005, 12:20 AM
I disagree. The snake sounds like it has an R.I. The only other thing that might be causing the wheezing is possibly part of his unshed skin is blocking his nostrils. In that case a luke warm paper towel held on the area for a minute or two at a time (for a total of 15-20 minutes) should loosen the skin enough to help it come off. If it's an R.I. (respiratory infection) you need to increase your viv temps to about 90 degrees for a few days. If he doesn't improve, you need to get him to a herp vet. What are your viv temps now? You say he regurges periodically. You might use the search function and look up regurges and how to treat them and possible causes.

Riotpooffairy
06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
~~Well...I decided to let him in some water...then i ttok a q-tip and tried to wipe it off...nothing came off....so I increased the Humidity in his cage by sprying down the walls and adding some more water...well he seemed to love the water on the sides of the walls....he rubbed his nose on them...I covered the top of the screen with a towel...to keep in the moisture...and he seems to have quieted down not weezing so much!....I think it was from the Shed...i will let you know more after i take him out today!~~

Thanks for all your comments...This is the 2nd snake I have owned...and We really like him...we got him in horrible conditions....and have had him for a year now...I would hate to have anything happen to him!

He ate yesterday!...so that is good! Just 1 white mouse...he is 3.5ft long...how often should I feed!...sometimes he will eat and others he just kills and leaves...im still learning his schedule...Like I said Im New to all this!

peep_827
06-10-2005, 02:25 PM
It's my understanding that too much humidity can cause or aggravate a RI, so if that's what it is you would actually want to dry out the viv as much as possible. Corns don't really like all that much humidity like tropical snakes. But with any luck that's not what it is anyway . . . but if he doesn't seem better I'd definately lose the extra water. Good luck - keep us posted! :)

daisy
06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
First off - Welcome to the forums! Everything I've learned about my corns, I learned here (and in the Corn Snake Manual - which I recommend picking up ASAP!)
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17308
This is a link to a great thread on regurges and how to treat them. It will certainly help.
Good luck! Keep us posted on his progress!

Riotpooffairy
06-10-2005, 07:18 PM
~~ Thanks for all your kind support...he seems to be doing much better! ~~

He still has this unusual brown like spot on his nose...but his weezing has ceased!...so...im not sure what the spot is from...we do use this coconut fiber for bedding which he loves to burrow in, so maybe it is from that...but I can not seem to wipe it off!

Well I will keep you posted!

Thanks again!

MegF.
06-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Glad to hear the wheezing is better. Definitely cut down on the humidity, it's not necessary. You might want to consider switching to frozen/thawed mice as there are risks to feeding live, and most corns will make the switch easily. One feeding per 7 days is fine.

GhostCorncs
06-17-2005, 11:38 AM
how often should I feed!...sometimes he will eat and others he just kills and leaves...im still learning his schedule...Like I said Im New to all this!

Like MegF said you should try prekilled frozen (thawed of course before feeding) bc if hae kills them and dosent eat them the might be bothering him. :shrugs:

GhostCorncs
06-17-2005, 11:42 AM
should have used spell check :toiletgra
bc if *he* kills them and dosent eat them the might be bothering him. sry dont know if its male or female.

DdotSpot
06-17-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure exactly what the consistancy of the 'coconut fiber' is, but could it be that the brown on his nose is dust from the substrate? Sometimes if a substrate is too dusty it can clog their noses and also be very unproductive as far as respiratory infections go. This is a picture of one of my snakes a couple of months ago that had a 'head injury'. I had her on Reptibark, but quickly changed substrate after I saw how dusty it was.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ddotspot/DSCF0279.jpg

You can see the dust has gotten inside the wound and in between her scales and even in her nose. Needless to say I now have her on Aspen bedding. MUCH better.

Hope this helps!

Dan