PDA

View Full Version : Question about frozen feeders

Question about frozen feeders

wjohnson18
06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I was curious if anyone could help me with a quick question regarding the sizes of feeders.

I am going to purchase an order of frozen feeders online, but I'm not sure if I should mix and match 25 small and 25 large pinks, or just stick to the small pinks.

So I guess my real question is - how long will a hatchling be eating pinks before he needs to be bumped up to the next size? I realize this varies from animal to animal, but as a general rule I was curious how long I can expect to be feeding him pinkys.

I thought I'd ask before I order, I want to make sure I order the right size, and don't want any to goto waste.

Thanks.

Duff
06-13-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd just order the small size. If he/she outgrows them before they're all gone, you can always just feed 2 (or 3) at a time until they're used up and then order the next appropriate size. Playing it safe, if you have a slow grower, you aren't stuck with food that's still too big.

Energi2er
06-13-2005, 05:47 PM
where is a good place to order f/t mice? I looked at rodent pro, thier prices are good but their shipping and handling is alot. Does anyone know anywhere eles that is reasonable?

Mary-Beth
06-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Big Cheese (http://www.bigcheeserodents.com/Pricing.html) is a good one.

wjohnson18
06-13-2005, 06:16 PM
where is a good place to order f/t mice? I looked at rodent pro, thier prices are good but their shipping and handling is alot. Does anyone know anywhere eles that is reasonable?

I plan on purchasing from Big Cheese Rodents after hearing good things about them on this forum. I was originally going to order from Rodent Pro, but the minimum order is 100 pinks. Thats far too many for me. I believe 50 is the minimum from Big Cheese - which is more manageable, and I like the fact that they'll vacuum pack them for you.

Speaking of the vacuum packs... Are there any possible risks associated with keeping frozen mice in your freezer alongside food for human consumption? I've always made a habit of keeping my small amount of feeders inside ziplock bags which are then stored in a re-sealable gladware container.

JTGoff69
06-13-2005, 06:29 PM
I plan on purchasing from Big Cheese Rodents after hearing good things about them on this forum. I was originally going to order from Rodent Pro, but the minimum order is 100 pinks. Thats far too many for me. I believe 50 is the minimum from Big Cheese - which is more manageable, and I like the fact that they'll vacuum pack them for you.

Speaking of the vacuum packs... Are there any possible risks associated with keeping frozen mice in your freezer alongside food for human consumption? I've always made a habit of keeping my small amount of feeders inside ziplock bags which are then stored in a re-sealable gladware container.

RodentPro will ship you less than 100, you just have to call in your order instead of ordering it online. Unfortunately, they aren't vacuum packed, but they're the only one offering peach fuzzies which are the perfect size transition between pinks and fuzzies.

I haven't had any problems keeping my mice in the freezer with my food. The way you describe keeping them, you should be fine.

Mary Beth, where in NC are you located? I never noticed you were here! :crazy02:

Mary-Beth
06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
LOL
I'm in Winfall, if you blink you miss it, NC.
That's in Perquimans County.
Waaaaaaaay up by VA and over by the coast.
:wavey:

Tibold
06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
CajunMice was resonable as well, and I had ordered 25 pinkies and 100 Fuzzies. I had also asked them to be packaged in groups of 5's.

JTGoff69
06-13-2005, 09:16 PM
CajunMice was resonable as well, and I had ordered 25 pinkies and 100 Fuzzies. I had also asked them to be packaged in groups of 5's.

Just wondering if you have received your shipment yet? And what size/weight your pinkies and fuzzies are, and what condition they are in? Thanks!

Tibold
06-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Yep...I had called the order in, about two weeks ago on a Tuesday and the shipment arrived on Friday. I really not sure about the weights, but the pinkies were 1 day old, so small. And the fuzzies ranged from a peach/fuzzy to fuzzy size, enough to see size differences.
Other then that, the mice were decent looking, clean, and whole. The packaging was A1, the box was left at my door step (I knew about this, and had no problem with it, as I was at work and couldn't accept packages). So, the package was left on the doorstep for about 4 hours, but when I opened it up, the mice were still frozen solid. And were vacum packed in groups of 5's just like I had requested, and total order came to $69.50, which included shipping.

wjohnson18
06-14-2005, 06:45 PM

How much did they charge you for packing them into groups of five? When I called Big Cheese to inquire about this they told me it would be an extra $2 per each additional bag I wanted them in... Thats $20 if I want them in groups of five.

The thing is that I really want them in smaller groupings, otherwise the benefits of the vacuum packing are useless to me if I get them in one big pack of 50. I'm willing to pay extra for the service, but $2/bag seems high. What do you guys think sounds reasonable?

JoannaD
06-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I have bought from them once and was very satisfied. I got the pinks in bags of 5 and I think the charge was an extra 5 cents a pinkie - so 25 cents each if you bought a hundred. They were very pleasant to deal with and were the best I could find in terms of packing in smaller numbers. Of course after I spent the extra to get the pinks in bags of five I bought 3 more snakes!
Joanna

Joejr14
06-14-2005, 11:19 PM
How much did they charge you for packing them into groups of five? When I called Big Cheese to inquire about this they told me it would be an extra $2 per each additional bag I wanted them in... Thats $20 if I want them in groups of five.

The thing is that I really want them in smaller groupings, otherwise the benefits of the vacuum packing are useless to me if I get them in one big pack of 50. I'm willing to pay extra for the service, but $2/bag seems high. What do you guys think sounds reasonable?

Go to Walmart and simply buy a vacuum sealer ($50, I have one it works fine) and do it yourself. A big roll of bag is less than $10 and I'd think that you could vacuum seal many, many, many mice for each roll of bagging.

peep_827
06-15-2005, 08:36 AM
I ordered from Big Cheese and was very happy with the mice! :) In fact I will be ordering from them again soon. When I open one of the the vacuum sealed packs I just take all the mice out and re-bag them, 10 per ziploc with the air squeezed out and rolled up tight, then all into a freezer bag. They have kept very nicely for almost 3 months now, but I am almost out as I underestimated the size my snakes needed and have been doubling up feeders.

When ordering f/t I'd recommend getting as many as you can at once to defray shipping costs. I only got pinkies and fuzzies thinking they'd last a long time and now I'm kicking myself, but I guess it's okay since I am getting more snakes soon anyway. I was told that until you open a sealed pack they are good for 2 years - so it might be worth it to go ahead and order some fuzzies, hoppers, etc. In my last order my 2 packs only took up like 5% of the shipping space so they could have sent a lot more for the shipping $. Live and learn, huh? :shrugs: