• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A Mouse With One Ear

Sasheena

Addicted
Here's my One-Eared FireBall Mouse! :)

Attachments

• earlessfireball.jpg
    earlessfireball.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 194
  • earlessfireball2.jpg
    earlessfireball2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 193
  • earlessfireball3.jpg
    earlessfireball3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 193
She is one of my prettier babies! (missing ear and all)...

And yes, it's also a distinct possibility that her ear was a casualty of birth rather than a genetic anomaly. I understand that to be a possibiliity but that doesn't keep me from trying to see if I can duplicate the look.

I've had mice end up with weird "subtractions"...

One day I was cleaning mouse cages and I noticed that a male mouse looked kind of funny... on closer examination I realized that one of his legs was GONE... and I couldn't even find a scabbed over area for the stump! He lived for three more months before it was his turn to be snake food. Actually had a rash of Mice-Suddenly-Misplacing-Limbs. Had one mouse, in a newly cleaned cage, I checked the day after cage cleaning, bedding still pretty and new-looking...only the mouse has lost a leg, and has no scab and there's no blood on the bedding and no shriveled up leg in the bedding!

Had another mouse who's tail died.... it was really ICKY and me and my step daughter decided to cut it off with scissors. (yes, we did!) SNIP! no complaint from the mouse... no blood. Just a dead tail.

Anyway, this ear doesn't look like a mutilated remnant, but can't tell because I lost my CSI kit.

One eared mouse

I was hoping you would post a pic of that one! Very interesting. Do tell if you breed him what he produces one or two generations down the line.

Could you have had some wild mice chew off the limbs of your domestic mice through the wires? Just a thought.

I may have to get a few of your mice someday Sasheena, I could use some of those heat tolerant mice you are producing! :wavey:

Silvia in Hot as Hell Phoenix :devil01:

it's not likely it's the wild mice... any mice on the OUTSIDE of the cage are at risk of losing a toe, or a foot, but those on the inside would have to work hard to be parted from a limb or a foot

Yeah, heat-resistant mice are great. By the end of the summer the only ones I have left are heat resistant.... but over the winter they forget and in the spring/early summer I lose lots of them as they adjust to the heat again. I always have surplus every spring and fall, but never very much surplus in the height of the summer.

Mice

Since I cut back my few colonies even further for summer I would be ready for some new stock in fall. I'll contact you once our temps have cooled down and see what you have available.

Silvia

Great. :) Dont' suppose you're in the market for a complete rat setup, wire cages, rats, bottles and food hoppers? :) I've started to decide that I want to either eliminate rats or just keep one cage.

Speaking of irregularities in mouse colonies. I was cleaning mouse cages and culling some mice to come into the house and be dinner, and was just about to put a cute brindle in the "death row" cage... when I noticed that it has a curly tail. The curly tail gene is BACK. So I put him with all the rest of the boy weaners, and next week when I clean cages and retire some breeders and start a new colony, I'll start him up with any brown females I have (it was a brown male that had the first curly tail, and a brindle who had the second, now a brindle that has the third)

Very fun stuff!

What a cute mouse!... even if it's missing an ear. I'd love to see a picture of the little brindle with a curly tail, if you don't mind posting one.

I'll be taking a picture maybe later today, maybe later in teh week. I don't usually have my camera with me in the "mouse house" and when I'm in the thick of cage cleaning (and boy do I mean THICK) I usually won't get up to go in the house and grab a camera. Here's a picture that demonstrates the types of tails I've had. It's just a quick drawing in paint... none of the mice were "cow" mice but cow mice are easiest (cutest) to draw. :)

Attachments

• TAILS.jpg
    TAILS.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 136
Here are a few more pictures of the mouse with one ear... and one picture of the mouse with the curl to his tail.

Attachments

• OneEarFireballRIGHT3.jpg
    OneEarFireballRIGHT3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 50
  • OneEarFireballRIGHT2.jpg
    OneEarFireballRIGHT2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 49
  • OneEarFireballRIGHT.jpg
    OneEarFireballRIGHT.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 50
  • OneEarFireballLEFT.jpg
    OneEarFireballLEFT.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 50
  • curlytail.jpg
    curlytail.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 50
What great pictures. Those mice are so cute. I appreciate you taking the time to get and post a picture of the darling, cury tail brindle.

Yes, I'm addicted to the snakes... but have to admit I'm enjoying the mice too. :D

Sasheena said:
Here's my One-Eared FireBall Mouse! :)

As i have stated in other posts, I am a dork and I accept that, but the mouse kinda looks like Splinter from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies, even though he was a rat, but he only had one ear!

Back