PDA

View Full Version : why?

why?

greasychips
08-15-2002, 01:46 PM
my snake has never pooed anywhere accept on me, i have checked around his viv not 1 bit, he waits until i am holding him before he does it, why is this? :confused:

matt and rex

HomeBreeder
08-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear that!

I've been hisses at, bitten, constricted, even pee'd upon, but I have yet (knock on wood) to be pooped on by a snake. My green-eyed gecko gave me the honor oncec or twice, but little baby gecko poo is nothing in comarrison to adult corn snake poo. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I'm glad it hasn't yet!

Anyway, about all the advice I can offer is here for ya! Foremost - do not put the snake away after it poo's on you; you don't want to "train" it to think that pooing on the handler is the way to get it's privacy back. Just be ready and have some paper towels on you lap next time you handle it so it's not a major mess. Next - try to keep the stress to a minimum when you handle it... if possible, let it come out of it's cage on it's own, for example (every time a snake has pee'd on me it's because it was scared, and tried it as a defensive measure.)

Maybe another thing would be to NOT handle it at all for 2-4 weeks. Let it establish a pattern of defacating in it's cage first.

Good Luck!
^Curtis

CornCrazy
08-15-2002, 08:03 PM
Only my young snakes do that to me!!! I have never been "pooed on" by my adult snakes. How old is your
snake???

HA! HA! HA! I just realized how funny we all sound...all this about pooing and being pooed on!!! I just had to come back and mention it!

Iris
08-16-2002, 12:31 AM
lol
Holding and handling my snakes seems to stimulate them into pooping. Luckily I have learned to tell when my snake is going to poop and I always have some folded newspaper nearby.
I can tell with Xavier the most. His vent area is kind of "bulging" with poop and within a few minutes he is ready to dispose of it. He goes absolutely still and his vent area starts "pulsing" as he strains to get rid of the poop.
I'll get pics soon of an empty poop chamber vs. a full poop chamber so you can see the difference. It's harder with hatchlings though because they are so small.

Katie
08-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Yep, it's the exercise that causes them to do that.

One way to avoid this is to give it a bath. Corns can and do swim if you put them in a couple of inches of tepid water and most will do their business in the water after a few minutes of swimming. Alot of people bath their snakes often for this reason. It keeps the enclosure cleaner and it keeps you cleaner.

kris (UK)
08-16-2002, 12:58 PM
i have never been pooed on by stella, but my sister has!!! hahahaha, i think the snake will poo when it feels most relaxed, and i guess it just cant hold it in. With amels if you hold them upto the light you can see darker areas near the vent which are obviously poo.... i dont know about other corn morphs but . . . . if you have an amel (sorry i do not know what corn you have) hold it upto the light, and if the darker area looks as if it next to the vent, then leave it in the viv for a bit longer until it poops . . . .

just a thought, i have never done this as im not too worried as it has never happened to me befre, just my sister!! lol but as CornCrazy pointed out, my snake was only a baby so i dont know?!?!?!?!! :S

KRIS

greasychips
08-20-2002, 10:07 AM
my snake is about 2 1/2 months old, and a miami phase, but there is still a prob he hasn't eaten on a bout 4 or 5 feedings and i am starting to get worried.:confused: