PDA

View Full Version : Separate Feeding Container?

Separate Feeding Container?

HoldenBurn
06-16-2005, 06:39 AM
I have heard from some places that you should move you snake to a separate feeding container, true or not? :shrugs:

I have only feed my baby once so far as I have only had him for about a week, should i do this or not?

fyrefairy
06-16-2005, 06:52 AM
I move all my snakes to seperate feeding containers on paper towel for meals. It's a good idea for a number of reasons:

1. They're not eating on their substrate, so you reduce the risk of impaction or injury from injested substrate.

2. They don't associate your hand entering the tank with food and are less likely to strike you when you reach in to pick them up.

3. Some snakes like privacy/smaller spaces to eat in, so you can put them in a smaller container and cover it - they'll feel secure.

4. If you're housing more than one snake together, they're less likely to cannibalize if they eat seperately and are left for half an hour to an hour. The food smell wears off and they loose their eating impulse. If you feed them together, they tend to go for the same piece of food, even if you've offered more than one.

5. If you have a snake that regularly defecates when he eats or if you're feeding live, the cleanup is quicker/tidier - just wad up the paper towel and pitch it - no hunting for mouse poo or scooping right after mealtime.

HoldenBurn
06-16-2005, 07:10 AM
Cheers for the reply! Well I think that I will move Zeth from now on, the only reason that I did not the first time was because I was told not to handle him until after his first feed (correct or not?) anyway its done now.
Hopefully I should be handling him for the first time tonight!

fyrefairy
06-16-2005, 07:21 AM
I've been told don't handle them for 3 days and don't feed for a week - I'm not sure they're heartbroken if you wait until after you've fed them. ;) I do my once over, leave them alone for a few days, and then feed them the next time it works for everyone else's feeding schedule. (I feed Mondays and Fridays, so if a week is Thursday, they'll wait.) I'm sure feeding him in his cage once won't be a big deal.

Have fun handling him tonight!