PDA

View Full Version : while eating...

while eating...

Slams
08-15-2002, 03:19 PM
while my corn snake was eating his pinky, he accidentily ate a tiny piece of pine shaving or something like that is this gonna harm him big time? was a tiny piece.

Simon
08-15-2002, 09:45 PM
what bedding is he on?

If it's a little piece of aspen shavings then it's going to be alright.

If it's really little then I think that whatever it is, it's going to be okay....

I would suggest that you feed your snake in a separtate enclosure so that this doesn't happen again.....

Jr Nimeskern
08-15-2002, 10:40 PM
Yes corns sometimes eat their substate... feeding your corns in a seprate container would be best... but of course if you have over 25 snakes it gets a little hard to do that... but I wouldnt worry if the piece of wood wasnt that big...

Slams
08-15-2002, 10:43 PM
not aspen, pine shavings or thats what the guy at the snake store told me it was. It looks like hay.

Katie
08-16-2002, 08:59 AM
Your snake should be fine this time but it could be a problem if he ever accidently eats a larger piece. Especially if he is a very small snake. You should try to feed in a different enclosure (maybe just a cheap small rubbermaid box with a piece of papertowl in the bottom, that's what I use). Also, your snake should not be on pine shavings. The guy at the petstore is doing something very wrong if he is keeping snakes on pine shavings. Pine has a very strong oder that can be irritating to snakes (as well as rodents like hamsters and rabbits and mice) and pine and cedar have been known to cause respiratory infections. You should never keep a snake in pine or cedar shavings. Use aspen shavings or papertowl or newspaper. They are much better for your snakes.

little twiglet
08-16-2002, 11:33 AM
Pine & Cedar r both poisonus to snakes they are toxic so get him on aspen shavings that r best for him

Slams
08-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Pine shavings are poisonous? my reptile store uses it for all the baby corns. Its a strictly snake/reptile store with a ok reputation.

nyr99
08-17-2002, 08:22 PM
i was told to use aspen, and that is what i am useing.....and you should feed in a different container. i have done that since day one. dont want to cause a respitory problem now do ya? :s

Iris
08-17-2002, 09:10 PM
No, pine is not toxic. Some pines are more aromatic and oily than other types of pine and therefore more dangerous, but I have heard of a few people who like pine. The main complaint I have heard is that it is too dusty.
Cedar is definitely toxic though.
You can put a little plate to serve as a food dish in there to prevent shavings from getting on the mouse, but it only works if your snake isn't one to grab the snake and drag it all along the substrate into its hide (like mine but luckily he is on paper towels).

Slams
08-18-2002, 02:52 AM
thanks for info. IM thinking of getting a leopard gecko or 2 anyone have any of them?

Iris
08-18-2002, 08:32 PM
yep they're cute
Rich Z's wife (Connie I think her name is) breeds them and the pics on serpenco.com are adorable.
I'd love to get one...someday!