PDA

View Full Version : shed

shed

Mauddy
06-18-2005, 02:39 AM
one of my corns just started its first shed sense i have had her only about half came off then it just started hiding under the aspen i didnt see it for about 2 days today it was its feeding day and i dug her out annd fed her to small pinks. i noticed about half her shed was still on she ate fine and everything in just worried she wont be able to get the shed off if she is digesting her food and why it took so long for it to come off. thanks
mike

Bobo's Mama
06-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi,

You need to help her get that shed off as soon as she is done digesting her pinkies, about 2 days, but no longer than that. If the shed is still on her tail it will cut off the circulation to it and will kill her. Its like if you had a rubber band on your finger and didn't take it off. I've had a few bad sheds and what you do is let your snake crawl through some wet paper towls. You hold the paper towels and let her crawl throgh your fingers and once the shed starts coming off, you start holding her as she's moving and don't let her move too fast or it will break and you'll have to start over. Or you can let her soak in some warm water and she may get it off herself, but if its been on there for 2 days, then she probably needs help. Try making a moist hide next time with sphagnum moss and make sure you spray the viv twice a day as soon as she gets in blue. Hope all this helps. The paper towel trick has done the job for my amel Bobo. I am still working on getting my humidity right, but this last shed went a lot better than the one before it.

Becky and Bobo

Mauddy
06-18-2005, 01:47 PM
ok, thanks alot this is gunna be a really slow 48 hours...lol

Russell
06-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some moistened moss or even paper towels, and stick snake and towels or moss into deli cup, to help moisten up the shed, cause yes, the moistened paper towel trick ideed works, even wet snake bag will do it. Anything to keep shed moist, yet allow the snake to be able to rub off shed. But as stated, allowing the snake, after having some time to moisten the shed, to slide through your fingers, hopefully catching the front edge of the shed, and peeling right off like a sock. Good luck, and make sure to check the shed against the snake to be sure it's all off, that tail end can be tricky and easy to miss! Best of luck.
Russell

Mauddy
06-19-2005, 08:55 PM
thanks alot i got it all of today she seemed to feel alot better afterwards. thanks again

MegF.
06-19-2005, 11:57 PM
You can also mist your viv when they go into blue and do that daily until they shed. I have all mine in plastic vivs now and I haven't had to do that anymore. The sheds are all coming off in one piece so the plastic must do a better job of keeping the humidity at a proper level.