PDA

View Full Version : Feed or shed?

Feed or shed?

Jenlichtenfeld
06-19-2005, 07:46 AM
I adopted a 9 year old corn last week. This weekend is supposed to be my first attempt at feeding. He was raised on live mice, but I figured I'd try f/t just to see, because if it worked - great. However, to make matters more complicated, this past Wednesday he started his blue phase. Yesterday for the first time since I've had him he went under his hide and has not come out. I put the f/t in the viv last night and left him alone - it's still there. My plan was to get a live one today if he didn't eat the f/t, but given the rest of his behavior, I don't know if he feels like eating at all since he's getting ready to shed. I'm worried that if he's not up to it, that the live mouse could hurt him if he's not ready to eat it right away. Even if I stun the mouse that won't last forever. Should I try the live one or wait until the shed is over? He was last feed exactly 1 week ago. :shrugs:

PtDnsr
06-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Just wait until he sheds. Most corns are capable of missing a week or two without any problems. Heck, my male didn't eat for 3 months after he mated with my female. It's better not to force it on him. IMO I wouldn't ever go back to live either - stick with prekilled or f/t (frozen/thawed).

~Katie

MegF.
06-19-2005, 08:35 AM
At 9 years old, you can safely feed every 10-14 days. My 2 year old is being fed every 2 weeks now that he's on rats. He's doing just fine.

rizzler
06-19-2005, 06:05 PM
I adopted a 9 year old corn last week. This weekend is supposed to be my first attempt at feeding. He was raised on live mice, but I figured I'd try f/t just to see, because if it worked - great. However, to make matters more complicated, this past Wednesday he started his blue phase. Yesterday for the first time since I've had him he went under his hide and has not come out. I put the f/t in the viv last night and left him alone - it's still there. My plan was to get a live one today if he didn't eat the f/t, but given the rest of his behavior, I don't know if he feels like eating at all since he's getting ready to shed. I'm worried that if he's not up to it, that the live mouse could hurt him if he's not ready to eat it right away. Even if I stun the mouse that won't last forever. Should I try the live one or wait until the shed is over? He was last feed exactly 1 week ago. :shrugs:
hi all we got a Amelanistic sunglow corn snake 2 weeks ago we feed it the day we got it , then we was told to do it 4 day later so we did , so the last time he was fed was Tuesday, then we had to fed it again on Saturday but this time he wont eat them could any one tell me why that is... is it because it hot or is it starting to shed.
from the family Caz, Tony, Emmajane

rizzler
06-19-2005, 06:12 PM
hi all we got a Amelanistic sunglow corn snake 2 weeks ago we feed it the day we got it , then we was told to do it 4 day later so we did , so the last time he was fed was Tuesday, then we had to fed it again on Saturday but this time he wont eat them could any one tell me why that is... is it because it hot or is it starting to shed.
from the family Caz, Tony, Emmajane

MegF.
06-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Every 4 days is pretty often to feed. I'd go to every 5 days for a hatchling. It could be that it is preparing to shed. I would not offer food until your next scheduled feeding day (presumably 5 days from the day you tried to feed it) and then see how it goes. Check to see if it looks like it's in blue. Amels can sometimes be hard to notice. If it is in blue, wait until it clears, or wait until after shed.

Jenlichtenfeld
06-20-2005, 10:19 PM
I had a very exciting day - my corn had his first shed (since I adopted him) and it all came off great in one piece! He also ate (my first time) and looks happy as a clam! Thanks for your great advice and help everyone!! I'm going to try to figure out how to post a picture in the photo gallery to share. Thanks again!