PDA

View Full Version : looking for nude/hairless mice

looking for nude/hairless mice

mike17l
06-21-2005, 02:01 AM
i am looking to find some nude mice to breed into my mice colony. if anybody could point me in the right direction to order a male or a pair, i would appreceate it.

thanks
mike

Sasheena
06-21-2005, 09:20 AM
I got my hairless mice here: http://www.simlab.com/products.html

The females have no nipples (or dysfunctional ones) and cannot nurse.

Those mice are SO UGLY they are cute. My original pair were fun to look at, and I did get ten or fifteen more hairless out of heterozygotes, but eventually I found that they were too much of a pain. I'd hoped to still have some "het for hairless" in my colony, and could in fact still have the gene running around, but I have never had a hairless born since my last hairless mice perished (or were fed to snakes because they were going to die anyway).

IF I could order a hairless male and half a dozen HET for hairless females, I would consider that a better starting point than ordering a pair of hairless. you might be better off just ordering two or three males, setting them up in their own colonies, and later breeding the offspring. They're also albino, and I discourage albino mice from my collection, so I always bred them to colored mice. In the end you get pink wrinkly mice, because they do NOT have pigmented skin, only pigmented hair, so without hair, they have no pigment.

What is also interesting about them is that the babies are born without fur (like all mice) then they grow fur, and then at two to three weeks of age they start to lose the fur starting with patches around their eyes, then their whole head, upper shoulders (they look like they're wearing a hula skirt) then finally all their body is hairless. Sometimes they get waves of "peach fuzz" but eventually they remain completely nude.

Here are a couple of young hairless in the transition stage: