• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Risks of feeding too soon

Rainey

Why can't I have more?
Fellow Herpers!

I just got my baby (5 weeks) corn on Tuesday and the breeder said she was eating great and should take a feeding today. But I've heard from people on here and read threads that say to wait a week. I was wondering if there is any harm done if I feed her tomorrow? IF she takes it I would assume that's good but if not, what kind of effects can that have?

Thanks Friends!

It should be fine. When I got my hatchlings I fed them each a pinkie head the day or day after I got them to make sure they were eating and they didn't suffer or anything from it.
What kind of corn is it?

Hey Iris,

It is a regular phase. I wanted a sun glow, hypo or okeetee, but my fiancee wanted a regular one. She said they looked like crayons not snakes. I think Katie (my corn) is beautiful!

Thanks Iris!

Is there anything negative that can happen if they don't take the food? I've heard something about a negative feeding rating or something. It sounded bad to me.

Thanks!

For the first few times, not taking in food isn't much of a problem at all.. it's not going to do much harm to the snake. I mean I usally offer them food for around 20 min and if they don't take it then it's my other's snakes food.....but then there are other cases that I leave my mouse (f/t) in the enclosure for the whole night......for problem feeders...or problem beginners

4 days will be enough. If she's hungry she'll take the food whether it's been 1 day or 10 IMHO. I've fed babies the day after I got them or a week later (depending on when they arrive, I feed them on schedule with the rest of the snakes). I've never had a problem and never had a baby that didn't eat if it was hungry enough (with good feeders, problem feeders are another story). Just make sure she has peace and quiet to eat, no sudden movements if you're watching her. I usually just leave them alone with the mouse for awhile and come back and it's gone.

Back