PDA

View Full Version : K, one more time...

K, one more time...

Katie
08-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Ok, Ok, I know I'm getting annoying with my questions by now but soon I'm getting 2 babies and I want to be sure I understand their hets properly. The parents are:

Anery female (from South Mountian Reptiles)
Lavender Male (from Serpenco)

The babies are normal and anerys. This means the lavender was het for anery right?

I'm getting one normal (with a really strange pattern, I'll post pics when I get it) and one anery. These babies would be normal het for anery, het for lavender and anery het for lavender right?

And breeding them (haven't decided on the whole inbreeding thing yet but I'll have a few years to decide... lol) would produce:

25% anery, het for lavender
25% het for anery, het for lavender
12.5% anery lavender
12.5% lavender, het for anery
12.5% anery
12.5% het for anery

Am I anywhere near close on this guesstimation? Lol. And what the heck is an anery lavender? Does anyone have pics of these? I've never even heard of them before, let alone seen them. Do they look different than regular lavenders?

Oh, and also, in the experienced breeders opinion, is a strange pattern that shows up in 2 or 3 babies of a clutch anything to get excited about or is it something that happens fairly reqularly?

Clint Boyer
08-16-2002, 10:10 AM
It sounds like you've got all of the possibilities accounted for.
The abberant patterns you're seeing are probably from the Lavender side of the line. For some reason, abberant patterns run in that line, I have many with strange patterns from my Lavender male. I wouldn't say that it's anything extraordinary but it really depends on how you feel about Aztecs and Zig Zags.

HomeBreeder
08-16-2002, 10:22 AM
In regard to anery lav's the way I understand Rich's research is that his current hypothesis is that lavender "masks" anery, but don't take my word for it.....

http://www.cornsnakes.com/lavenders.html

http://www.serpenco.com/cultivars/anerythristic.html

.....will probably tell you alot.

Darin Chappell
08-16-2002, 11:32 AM
You're right on in your "guesstimations" assuming you breed an anery het lav to a normal het lav and het anery. If, however, you were to breed the anerys het lav to each other, of course you would come up with:

25% Anery
50% Anery het lav
25% Anery lavs

I'm sure you knew this. I was just clarifying for others that might drop in on your thread!

Have fun with them!

Katie
08-16-2002, 02:02 PM
Alright, so out of the 37.5% that will be normal (either het for anery and lav or just het for anery) would you say those normal babies are het for anery and ?? % het for lav? Because you can't tell which ones are and which aren't but there are probably some that are het for lav. What percentage would you express that as?

Darin Chappell
08-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Out of that mix you listed above, all of the babies would be het anery and they would be 66% possible het lavs. You come to that percentage by looking at all of the hets as a whole number (37.5%) and divide the number of expected lav hets (25%) by the whole. So,

25 / 37.5 = 66.66%

Each normal will have a 66% chance of being het for both anery and lav, and the rest will just be het anery.

Katie
08-16-2002, 03:03 PM
Thanks so much! I think I'm understanding this genetics thing alot better now. I thought it was only 50% het lav though so thanks for clarifying.

Still would like to hear from Rich on the anery lavs... or someone else that's seen/had/heard of them