PDA

View Full Version : New Snake, some health questions

New Snake, some health questions

fenriz
06-24-2005, 05:16 PM
I have recently aquired a Grey Rat Snake aprox. 2 months old. She (its a educated guess at this point) is being kept in a 2 footer viv and has been there for only 2 weeks. She has been a bit of a pig with her food, we even managed to get her to eat after we got her home (very happy with) and since then she has been feeding every two days (small pinkies). She has had a problem with her shed but that was rectified after a quite shallow bath (recomended from a good friend). The past week she has been acting jumpy and has gone off her food. The only reason i can think that could of upset her is the heat management of the viv, its suddenly got very hot here and i am finding it hard to keep the cool end ..cool! She usually takes her food instantly with no trouble, so i am a little curious to know whats happening. Any suggestions?? Whats the max time i should wait for a snake this age?

CAV
06-24-2005, 07:39 PM
1. Feeding every two days is not good. Feed larger meals no sooner than every 5th day. Your snake needs more time between meals.

2. Excess heat caused stress; stress causes loss of appetite. Temperature maintenance is critical for your snake. Get a good digital thermometer so you aren't guessing. Try to keep the tank at 82 degrees or less. If the entire room is hot move the tank closer to the floor where temps are cooler.

fenriz
06-25-2005, 07:11 AM
I have strip themometers at each end (near base) and one central digi and a humidity reader. So i am keeping close checks on it. I have removed part of the heat mat from under the viv that has made quite a difference to the balance now. She is not a mature rat snake, and not large so she is on the smallest meals possible just more frequently. I am more curious to know when the best time to 'bump' up the meals or any more suggestions of heat management during the summer months. I am thinking a habistat might be a little too excessive for a 2 foot viv, but it is something i will be requiring for the larger vivs obviously. Thanks!