PDA

View Full Version : Bulge at vent...?

Bulge at vent...?

Silvergrin
06-24-2005, 08:33 PM
I noticed today that my female creamsicle has a distinct bulge at her tail, right on her vent. At first I thought maybe she was getting obese, as it sort of reminded me of those photos you see of overstuffed snakes that are really wide and suddenly have a skinny tail, but, I'm fairly certain it would have been there a week ago, if it was fat? I didn't notice anything like that then, although it is somewhat subtle. I felt the bulge and it seemed to feel solid, and I can't be sure but I think it was a bit tender (or maybe my Pi just didn't like me squeezing her butt!).
I don't think it's unexpected eggs; she's never been with a male, has been eating pretty steadily these past few weeks, and I couldn't feel any other bulges above it.
Is she fat? Constipated? Do you need a photo to get a better idea? What should I do?

MegF.
06-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Females can produce eggs (slugs) even if they haven't been bred, so it's not impossible. Are you sure it's not fecal matter? How old is your female?

Silvergrin
06-25-2005, 01:13 AM
3 years old...
Should I make a vet appt then?

MegF.
06-25-2005, 08:27 AM
If she's acting normally, I wouldn't worry just yet. Sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution though. If it's just some fecal matter that hasn't passed yet it's not as big a problem than if she became egg-bound. The decision is yours as you know her behavior best.

gardenmum
06-25-2005, 09:15 AM
I agree with Meg, you know your snakes behavior best so you should decide what would be best to do.

One thing you can try is give her a swim in tepid water......and I mean tepid, not real warm or hot......if it is because she has to defecate, this a lot of times stimulates it. If she still has the bulge by Monday, I would definitely consider the vet.

Silvergrin
06-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys.
I haven't noticed anything unusual or worrisome about her...
I'll try the water first.