PDA

View Full Version : My junior field herper and his discovery

My junior field herper and his discovery

daisy
06-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi all,
My best friends son, who is 5 phoned me up yesterday to tell me that he found eggs in his sandbox. Turtle eggs he said. The thing is, when he brought them over to show me, they looked long and oval shaped, and all of the turtle eggs I've seen are round. They are pliable, and 3 of the 4 are dented on one side. They look very much like the snake eggs on this site. Does anyone have any ideas one way or the other?
I've advised his mother on how to put together a quick container with a margarine tub, as seen on this website. I know it works for snakes - does the same priniple apply to turtles??
One other thing...since the little darling is only 5, he had a wonderful time loving those eggs and rolling them around before he brought them in to his mother. I have also advised that they NOT be turned anymore for any reason. Since they have already been turned, are they for sure gonners?
I am on my way to his house tonight for dinner and will take some pictures if I can. In the mean time, any advice would be appreciated, he's VERY excited and is not looking to me to be a hero and make his eggs hatch *sigh*

cornsnakekid92
06-27-2005, 09:12 PM
i would watch out becus the might be egg from a venomus snke, just a heads up

Joejr14
06-27-2005, 09:19 PM
i would watch out becus the might be egg from a venomus snke, just a heads up

Since there's only one venomous snake species in Ontario I don't think you've got much to worry about. However, if those things hatch and you see cute little rattles on them...

CrazyCorn
06-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Rattle Snakes don't lay eggs! They are live birth LOL! Probably snakes eggs and they are ok if they are turned a bit. Snake that lay eggs you can readily find up there are Eastern Hognose, Fox snakes, and I don't know for sure about Bull snakes.

Drizzt80
06-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Since there's only one venomous snake species in Ontario I don't think you've got much to worry about. However, if those things hatch and you see cute little rattles on them...

My mind may be fried from the long day, but don't rattlesnakes have live birth . . . ? :sidestep:

In fact did a quick google, and rattlesnakes retain the eggs inside the body and do in fact have live birth.

D80

Sorry GBB . . . :)

CrazyCorn
06-27-2005, 11:00 PM
The bubble burster has been busted!

Joejr14
06-27-2005, 11:05 PM
:shrugs:

So then see, not venomous snake eggs.

CrazyCorn
06-27-2005, 11:08 PM
The only venomous snakes that are not rear fangs in NA are Coral snakes and with them roaming the south from FL-AZ I would not worry about them in Canada.

CrazyCorn
06-27-2005, 11:09 PM
The only venomous snakes that lay eggs are not rear fangs in NA are Coral snakes and with them roaming the south from FL-AZ I would not worry about them in Canada.
Edit: "that lay eggs"

Drizzt80
06-27-2005, 11:38 PM
:shrugs:

So then see, not venomous snake eggs.

So what you're saying is that you were trying to test us right?! . . . riiiiiiiiiiight! :cool:

D80

Joejr14
06-27-2005, 11:50 PM
So what you're saying is that you were trying to test us right?! . . . riiiiiiiiiiight! :cool:

D80

No, I'm just saying that she definitely doesn't have to worry about having venomous hatchlings.

Drizzt80
06-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I know . . . I think CrazyCorn was excited about having the chance to burst your bubble before anyone else could. :D

D80

Joejr14
06-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I know . . . I think CrazyCorn was excited about having the chance to burst your bubble before anyone else could. :D

D80

Ah well, I do what I can. I guess people think that it bothers me when I get corrected. :shrugs:

CrazyCorn
06-28-2005, 07:55 AM
No, I just think it was funny. I am not trying to be rude in any way.

daisy
06-28-2005, 08:41 AM
I got a picture last night to give you a better idea...
As for the posts so far on what kind of snakes they may be - bull snakes aren't found this far east, and since rattlers and garter snakes are live birth snakes, that leaves I believe 6 or 7 possible species. My best guess is hognose, if in fact they are snake eggs. I've caught a few around here.
If anyone has any other ideas to include (or exclude) the possibility of turtle eggs, I'd love to hear them!
Thanks!

CrazyCorn
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Those are not turtle eggs that is for sure, at that size my best guess would be Eastern Hognose eggs, mostly due to the fact that they were found in the sand, which isn't uncommon for hognose but it is uncommon for many of the other species you have.

dakota11
11-08-2008, 10:00 PM
What about the black rat snake? There is a site that shows a map of ontario snakes Ill see if I can find it brb

dakota11
11-08-2008, 10:01 PM
What about the black rat snake? There is a site that shows a map of ontario snakes Ill see if I can find it
opse I guess those eggs are a few years old

tyflier
11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Wait...did you find out what they were? At that size they look more like lizard eggs than snake eggs...unless they are from a really small snake like a nightsnake or groundsnake...

caz223
11-08-2008, 11:54 PM
I think they're just a bit small for hognose eggs.

caz223
11-09-2008, 12:02 AM
My guess is black ratsnake eggs. Got a woods nearby?

vetusvates
11-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Rat Snakes are much more secretive about laying their eggs in the wild. More likely a rotten, but upright, stump or tree trunk---not buried in sand.
Besides, it is awfully late in the year for eggs to be lying around unhatched, waiting to be discovered.
I'm no expert on the fauna of Canada. A Green Snake? A Racer? I've always wondered where snakes go during winters up north (Canada & Great Lakes area).

vetusvates
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Kind of smallish for a Rat Snake. Do you know how to use a candle or a flash light on the egg? If the egg is still viable, you can see the heart beating from fairly early on. Smell of it. (Still concerned about an unhatched egg this late in the season.)

vetusvates
11-09-2008, 12:23 AM
There is a big difference in a species of snake being oviparous, viviparous, and ovoviviparous. All are important words for amateur or neophyte herpetologists to know.

tyflier
11-09-2008, 12:24 AM
vetusvates...this topic is originally 3 years old...;)

And do you guys not see the penny next to that egg? WAY too small for a ratsnake...of ANY kind...

vetusvates
11-09-2008, 12:30 AM
vetusvates...this topic is originally 3 years old...;)

And do you guys not see the penny next to that egg? WAY too small for a ratsnake...of ANY kind...

Thanks man. Sometimes when I go to the "New Posts" dropdown, I forget that it is based on last response, not original post.
Just like I have forgotten about the "Friend" function thingy for almost another whole week now.

Nanci
11-09-2008, 08:05 AM
I vote lizard eggs, too. They just leave those anywhere. Don't you guys miss Joe Jr.??? A turtle egg would never survive a five year old in a sandbox, BTW...I don't know how sensitive lizard eggs are.

Jay@PJCReptiles
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't you guys miss Joe Jr.???
Yes I do. Where the hell has that kid been? :shrugs:
Jay :cool:

Nanci
11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't even think he stopped in here for his birthday, and I made a special birthday LOLtrout for him!

Jay@PJCReptiles
11-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't even think he stopped in here for his birthday, and I made a special birthday LOLtrout for him!
I know Nanci, I saw your post. I thought it was a perfect theme for Joe. I sent him an E-Mail a few weeks ago and he didn't reply and that's not like him to not reply. I hope he is fine and everything is OK. I should send him another. I was hoping to see some of the babies he produced this year. I know he works a lot so maybe that is taking most of his attention. :shrugs:
Maybe we should rattle Dean's cage as he might have some insight. After all he is Joe's "Partner In Crime". :rolleyes: :grin01: Kidding aside, I do hope he is doing fine.
Jay :cool:

Nanci
11-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I heard he had a "bad year" in terms of snakes. I don't know if it was as horrendous as Dean's, but I think it was close.

hiddenhollowherp
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Western Painted turtles lay pinkish oval eggs, and if you turn them even slightly, they are dead. Good luck.

tricksterpup
01-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Western Painted turtles lay pinkish oval eggs, and if you turn them even slightly, they are dead. Good luck.

This thread is over 2 years old..