PDA

View Full Version : Do they eat each other??

Do they eat each other??

MariaOrrom
07-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi
I thought that corns weren't into eating each other. I went and got a new corn today especially the similar size to my other one so that I could house them together. The guy in the pet shop said no problem. So now I am fed up as I don't know what to do. I have a king too so prehaps I shall have to sell him so I can use his tank. I don't have any more space for another tank. I thought that these 2 corns may breed.
Any ideas? :shrugs:
Maria

Silvergrin
07-01-2005, 06:11 PM
hey, well, there are certainly people more expert than I here, but I'll try to answer your querry to the best of my own knowledge...

I think just about any snake has a chance of eating another, however, with corns it's a pretty slim chance. If you feed them separately you'll probably be fine. Housing snakes together is generally an iffy prospect; to minimize risks there's a few things you should do.
1) Quaranteen any snakes you get for at least a month before introducing it to another animal. Even if you get two new snakes, house them separately so that if one is sick/has funny poops/regurges, you'll know who it is.
2) Don't house adult males together, esp. not during the breeding season. They'll fight!
3) Don't house immature males and females together, as they may breed before it's really good for the female to do so. Breeding can be exciting but you'll want to wait till the female has a good size on her, else it may stunt her growth. Also, you may have to separate them if you're female is into double-clutching, or recovers slowly from laying, to avoid her overtaxing herself.
4) have a spare home available in case an animal does get sick, or seems stressed by the company, or whatever.

Hope that helps!

TrpnBils
07-01-2005, 06:48 PM
The possibility of them eating each other is just one of the many reasons why corns shouldn't be housed together outside of breeding season. Do a search on here and you'll find several other threads on this topic

CAV
07-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I'll post this one link instead of all the other ones.

Cannibalism (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=99154&postcount=3)

oldhand
07-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Have a read of this posted by Kathy Love.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17308

cdp13075
07-02-2005, 01:11 AM
I've had some corns that ate another one. I had an amel that ate my beautiful candy cane...nice pricey meal!! One day, my young miami phase got out and my hubby stuck it in the amels cage...it got eaten. The same snake tried her best to eat my male pastel motley.
When my butterscotch laid a few years ago, we keep some of her babies. While I was out of town, my friend who was watching the zoo fed all the snakes and thought she'd let momma visit her kids(as she put it) and they all got eaten.

I do have have 2 adult females I keep together but everyone else is seperate. I also have back up tanks if I need it for a female.

MariaOrrom
07-02-2005, 10:33 AM
HI
Thanks for that everyone. I guess I need to go out a get a new viv and all the bizz.
Is there a breeding season? Whats that. My corn Indi, seems to go without grub and very active during Feb/March. He always worries me when he won't eat, do you think thats when hes ready to mate? Wish I knew which were males and females. I would be too scared to put Ana in with Indi at breeding season now in case they are two males and they fight.
Anyway just take a look at my babes! Photo.
Maria

oldhand
07-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah feb/march is the norm for breeding, but some will breed earlier or later (then theirs double clutching).

MariaOrrom
07-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Ok,
So if thats the case, is my snake a male if its starving itself and getting all active round the viv or do females do that too?
Maria

SnakeLuvrs
07-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Visionariums are great because they are stackable... great space savers!!!

oldhand
07-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Both males and females do it, but as far as i know males do it a lot more then females because their actually looking for a mate. 8 wkks isn't a long time tho for a snake to go without food whildt looking for a mate, some will go longer, others less. Hope that helps.

MariaOrrom
07-03-2005, 03:55 AM
What do they look like, any photos? We only have the big 3ft aquirims here. Nothing else. They are expensive and heavy.
Maria

oldhand
07-03-2005, 05:53 AM
If you mean what do wooden stackable viv's look like here's a link to 2 of my stacked viv's. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22030

MariaOrrom
07-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Those are a great idea. I showed the hubby and he reckons he could make them.........however that won't be in time to house my new corn, so off to the pet shop for a new viv tomo!!!!
Thanks heaps
Maria

CAV
07-03-2005, 02:38 PM
It is were me, I'd be off to Wal-mart to buy much cheaper tubs. ;)

oldhand
07-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Cav not everyone has a few hundered snakes and reptiles :rolleyes: , but if your giving a few away..... then i would downgrade in size :grin01: .

MariaOrrom
07-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Whats Wal-mart!!!!! We don't have that here! My snakes don't like 'tubs' they are in very attractive vivs with upside down terracotta flower pots and reptile grass. Very civilized!

oldhand
07-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Wall-mart is a huge US supermarket, and also 1 of the top 3 in the UK (depending on the stock market). It's called asda in the UK tho, but the companys parent company is Wall-mart.

CAV
07-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Whats Wal-mart!!!!! We don't have that here! My snakes don't like 'tubs' they are in very attractive vivs with upside down terracotta flower pots and reptile grass. Very civilized!

Your snakes don't care. ;)