PDA

View Full Version : Still Skin on tail?

Still Skin on tail?

Ocelot
07-04-2005, 05:50 PM
I bought a new corn snake a couple days ago. But when I got him, he still had some shed skin on his taile. He is about 3 months old now. What should I do? Leave it and hope it comes off or pull it off or increase humidity or something? Thanks.

~slither~
07-04-2005, 07:12 PM
You should dampen a pillow case and let him slither through it. Also mist the tank with a spray bottle every morning and night. Dont drench it just give it a light misting. Should be off in a day or so. ;)

~slither~
07-04-2005, 07:14 PM
And I just noticed your on 27 posts already! Phew, thats quick, you must have a lot of questions! Better be safe and ask though, than to not ask and have a problem escalate, I'm sure you'll agree.

Ocelot
07-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Hehe thanks for the help anyways ;)

CAV
07-05-2005, 07:32 AM
You need to insure that the old shed is completely removed. One of the quickest methods is to take a damp paper towel, fold it in half and let the snakes crwl through it while gently squeezing it closed. You'll want to apply just enough pressure so the snake has to work to move, but not enough to stop its movement completely.

princess
07-05-2005, 08:41 AM
I understand you bought the snake like this but if you'd like to try to prevent this happening again, you could provide your snake with a most hide. A small tub with moss or coconut fibre (forrest bed is one brand name for it) with a lid on it with a hole in the top will make a nice moist hide. All my snakes have one of these in their homes and I always have entire 1 piece sheds that include the tip of the tail from them.

Repto-Girl
07-05-2005, 12:35 PM
If all else fails, just soak him in some luke warm water. It always works for me. I hope it helps.

DavidM
07-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd just like to underline, from personal experience, that it is worth doing something to get the skin off. We didn't know any better, a few years ago, and left a piece of shed on our normal's tail, and he lost half an inch of tail as a result. He's now a thriving 4 foot 2 father of seven, but he could have been 4 foot two and a half...

David

mbdorfer
07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
I'd just like to underline, from personal experience, that it is worth doing something to get the skin off. We didn't know any better, a few years ago, and left a piece of shed on our normal's tail, and he lost half an inch of tail as a result. He's now a thriving 4 foot 2 father of seven, but he could have been 4 foot two and a half...

David
A real good point David! I have 2 kings that are now "stubby's" due to my thinking it would come off with the next shed :dunce:

Ocelot
07-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Well I got it off by using a wet paper towl and letting him crawl through it. I was worried it wouldn't come off, but he's okay now. Thanks guys. ;)