PDA

View Full Version : Feeding 3 adult mice and 4 fuzzies to ONE snake a week....is it wrong????

Feeding 3 adult mice and 4 fuzzies to ONE snake a week....is it wrong????

JenC
07-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Josh6969 a member of this forum which we are having an interesting discussion in teh chat room, at this time, about his feeding options.

HE finds apsolutely NOTHING wrong with feeding ONE 4ft, 2 y/o corn snake LIVE 3 adult mice and 4 fuzzies WEEKLY. His exuse.."the snake was hungry"

EVERYONE in the caht room tried to explain to him, that snakes are oportunistic feeders and will eat uhntil they die.

So, after this poll has gone on for a while, MAYBE you guys can talk some sense into him, bcuz no one in the caht is making ANY sort of effect.

So i ask you, Is feeding THAT MUCH wrong??
(i kno the answer..but he dont)

MegF.
07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
You already know what I had to say about it.

Joejr14
07-07-2005, 03:30 PM
If you know the answer, then why are you asking everyone here?

This thread is pointless and never should have been started. Sorry to say so.

JenC
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Joe, yes it was pointless, BUT josh wont lsiten to any of us in the chat! If you guys can help us, MAYBE we can save a snakes life.

pcar
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
If you know the answer, then why are you asking everyone here?

This thread is pointless and never should have been started. Sorry to say so.

Joe, it is only pointless when you don't catch on to the fact that JenC is asking us Snake keepers for help in trying to talk some sense into the guy that is over feeding his snake.

Read a little between the lines.

carol
07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
:dunce: I read the question wrong and clicked "NO". I thought it was "is it OK?" Sorry, I meant "yes" it is wrong because the snake will become overweight and have serious health problems.

DavidM
07-07-2005, 04:30 PM
yes, of course it's wrong. I have a snake the same length, 5 or 6 years old, who eats one large adult mouse a week and is in great shape.

David

ReptileZone
07-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Haha Carol I did the same thing! She should have asked, "Is it OK to feed 3 adult mice and 4 fuzzies a week?" But nooo. She asked it in a biased way and it threw me off. I voted wrongly too! :) Haha...ZzZzZz

iiijeniii
07-07-2005, 05:03 PM
I misread the question also ... so all three yesses are really no's.

iiijeniii
07-07-2005, 05:04 PM
oops ... i mean all 3 no's are yesses.

JenC
07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
muahahahahaha!!! :grin01:

sorry guys, didnt think it would confuse ya that much!

mbdorfer
07-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Not only is it wrong, but someone needs to get this snake away from him and give him an ant farm instead :bang:

JTGoff69
07-07-2005, 09:39 PM
OMFG, no snake should be eating 3 adult mice OR 4 fuzzies weekly! One or two appropriate sized meals is plenty. Wrong. :eek1:

Sunblotch
07-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I laughed when i read this not because it's funny that a poor snake is obviously being over fed, but because it sounds like something out of a talk show where parents are feeding their children around the clock, and when they come out to the audience, you see a 100lb 3 year old child. I can only imagine what this poor snake is going to look and feel like. In a way, it's abuse.

ScottyK
07-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I can only imagine what this poor snake is going to look and feel like. LOL- Like a multicolored beach ball :rolleyes:

PssdffJay
07-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Not only is it wrong, but someone needs to get this snake away from him and give him an ant farm instead :bang:

No doubt!! at least then he will have more fun if they escape!! :grin01:

sojkas
07-08-2005, 05:21 AM
OMFG, no snake should be eating 3 adult mice OR 4 fuzzies weekly!

I think you meant "No CORN...."
There are many snakes, that easily can eat 8-10 mice per week.

Jynx
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I think you meant "No CORN...."
There are many snakes, that easily can eat 8-10 mice per week.

No they meant exactly what they said... The only situation I think would be excuseable would be if you have like an adult boa or large python, and are feeding items that are obviously way too small. NO SNAKE should be fed that many appropriately sized food items in so short a time. To do so is jeopardizing its quality of life. Snakes are not mammals, and they do not have our metabolisms.

:-offtopic I was wondering where those 3 "No's" came from guys! I couldn't believe at first that someone would actually say that this was ok. :grin01:

carol
07-08-2005, 11:47 AM
LOL, read the first page Jynx. The 3 "no's" came from people who read the question wrong!

Gronk
07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
That's an insane amount of food to be feeding a snake !

Jynx
07-08-2005, 12:21 PM
LOL, read the first page Jynx. The 3 "no's" came from people who read the question wrong!

lol I was freaking out until I read that page. You guys are click-happy! :)

JenC
07-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Now, if only find a way to get this thread sent to him....and get animal police to get that poor corn:( lol

Energi2er
07-08-2005, 03:21 PM
well this thread wasnt so pointless after all.

39 people cant be wrong...

STOP FEEDING THE SNAKE SO MUCH!

Skye
07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
3 adult mice and 4 fuzzies WEEKLY to one snake

= overkill

in the true sense of the word

peep_827
07-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Wow. I was feeding Rhiannon 2 fuzzies a week, she was ready for hoppers but I didn't have any and wanted to kill off the rest of that bag of fuzzies. Well, one week Calypso was in shed and refused hers and since I'd already thawed 3 I offerred them all to Rhiannon. She ate them all right, and I realized the other day that she's actually looking a tad pudgy. I mean a TAD, so she's going to have 1 hopper a week and more regular exercise sessions, she's a mellow kinda gal and lays around a lot. LOL My point is . . . if feeding 2 small items a week a couple weeks and then 1 extra one week would put my girl a bit on the chubby side, I can't imagine what 3 adults and 4 fuzzies a week would do to a 2 year old snake. Does this person have photos?!? I am scared. :eek1:

sojkas
07-08-2005, 06:53 PM
NO SNAKE should be fed that many appropriately sized food items in so short a time.

I may be wrong, but this sentence is pretty different that the previous one I was quoting, right?

JTGoff69
07-08-2005, 06:56 PM
No, it isn't, considering you forgot to quote the rest of my statement that includes that information.

Taceas
07-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Whoever said this is like a talk show is right. And the multicolored beach ball comment, LOL.

That is way too much to feed to a snake on a regular basis. The most I've ever fed to one of my adult corn snakes is 3 small adult mice after laying a second clutch and looking quite thin.

Generally my adult females get fed 1 adult mouse or appropriately sized rat pup every 7-10 days, and the adult males every 10-14 days. And they do great on that schedule.

I think perhaps this Josh person needs to read a book or two and actually USE this site if he's a member. Snakes that look hungry, LOL. All of mine look hungry all of the time. Kind of like my dog. But if I fed her as much as she wanted, she'd look like a couch on tiny little stilts.

Eating like that will cause him to be obese and shorten his lifespan considerably. People like that shouldn't have pets, even pet rocks. :rolleyes:

MegF.
07-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Josh has taken the advice to heart, and will be changing his feeding patterns. We talked with him during the chat room and he had lots of other questions to ask as well. I think this snake came to him from someone else and he had the wrong idea about what it needed to make it. He's on the right track now, so everyone be cheered!

peep_827
07-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Thank goodness . . . I was thinking maybe if his snake was extremely active it might not be as bad . . . and I'm sure they have different metabolisms . . . but that's a LOT of food . . .

But as long as now he realizes that's not good, and gets that poor baby on a diet . . . :) Good 'nuff.

sojkas
07-09-2005, 10:52 AM
No, it isn't, considering you forgot to quote the rest of my statement that includes that information.

Well, you are $#^^# me for something I didn't say.
EOT for me.

bballmatt100
07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
I thought i was the only one who could eat that much! :shrugs: :crazy02: