PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile with VERY small eye´s

Juvenile with VERY small eye´s

lucia
07-09-2005, 12:45 PM
:shrugs:

I dont know what to do. One of my bloodred babies has very small eyes, and a weird shape of it´s head.
Should I put it to death? How?

Please help me, the snake hatched today.

Kat
07-09-2005, 01:15 PM
There are several ways to put a deformed corn down.

1. Feed it to a kingsnake (or something similar that will eat baby cornsnakes). A bit traumatizing to the hatchling, but the kingsnake gets a free snack/meal. Can be fascinating to watch if you're the type who's fond of Discovery Channel animal shows.

2. Put it in the freezer. This is kinder to the hatchling, though family members and spouses might have issues with it. (Be sure to put it in a container in the freezer, so it doesn't slither and freeze onto something you don't want it stuck to.)

There are various other methods as well, but those are the two I tend to use.

-Kat

Lennycorn
07-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Personally, I would try to save it. do you think that having the small eyes will hinder or made the snake suffer "have a hard life" ? Can it see as well as other snakes. I say if it can lead a "normal" life, let it live

Just my thoughts :)

MegF.
07-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Frankly, I've heard of snakes born with no eyes surviving quite well without them. They don't rely on eyesight to hunt, but their tongue to pick up scent, and they sense heat. Since we feed them ourselves, unless there is some other physical problem, I'd just keep him for a pet.

SnakeLuvrs
07-09-2005, 02:42 PM
I would keep it alive. is it eating ok? behaving abnormally? you see tons of deformities on animals and people and they live normal healthy lives... (blind cats, dogs etc...deaf animals....even humans with no legs.) if you don't want the lil guy i am sure there are people who will take it off your hands... i wouldnt recomend breeding him/her...but the lil one would still make a good pet to someone out there...

Bobo's Mama
07-09-2005, 02:51 PM
If it can eat and poop and shed, please don't cull this hatchling. I guess I am just a tad bit biased, as my husband is blind and does just fine, but you may also check out this thread beacause it is about a snake born w/ no eyes. The thread itself is old, but I emailed this breeder to see if he still had her and he said he kept her as a pet. Call the local blind association in your town and ask them if they want a pet or mascot, I'm sure they would take good care of her or find a nice blind person who would. My husband loves holding my snake. Just my thoughts, do what you feel is best....

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14816&highlight=Blind

colinmcc
07-09-2005, 03:41 PM
If nothing else, at least wait until after it has shed it's first skin and see how it looks then. It should be within a week of hatching.

As above, I'd agree that if it can move freely and eat, poop and shed OK then it'll probably be just fine .... if a little odd looking.

oldhand
07-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I agree, wait till after the first shed, and then see if it will eat. If it eats and sheds and poops ok then why not keep it as it's behaviour is normal?

If it sheds fine and eats a pinkie fine and you still don't want it email me and i'll pay to have it, as long as it's otherwise healthy i don't mind deformed eye's or anything else if it's alive and well.

My email:- john.pilling@gmail.com

princess
07-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Oh Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear one of your babies didn't come out just right. I don't think putting it to sleep is needed but you should make sure it never reproduces. Although, someone could have said that about leucistic ratsnakes with their bulging eyes and we never would have had them!

With those proportions it looks like a mini boa!!

Good luck with the little anomaly!

lucia
07-10-2005, 05:31 AM
Thanks for all of your answers, unfortunately I had to put it to sleep. The poor snake was so weak and wriggled on the right side with his head hanging... :cry:

Felt most human to put it to sleep, now its in animal heaven.

princess
07-10-2005, 05:57 AM
Well done for making the very toughest decision any animal breeder has to make. I'm sure you will fell a lot better about it soon. The little creature went to a better place.

lucia
07-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Yes, the poor little thing didn´t felt well! :(
His siblings are feeling great, and two more is about to be hatched soon!

I keep my fingers crossed!

HoldenBurn
07-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear that. Never easy. :(

whatisntseen
07-10-2005, 09:21 PM
I wish it would've survived, but nature knew he was incompatible with life and took over. I'm sorry, it would've been interresting having a snake such as that one.

oldhand
07-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Deep down i know you did the right thing. I am sorry for the loss, but it does sound like s/he just wasn't destined to make it.