PDA

View Full Version : Meal size???

Meal size???

Boris
07-11-2005, 01:58 AM
I've had my okeetee for about 2 months now and he's about 3 ft long however not very fat, I feed him between 1-2 pinkies depending on their size every 5-7 days. I've just been looking at photos of others snakes that r feeding on adult mice and they look a similar size 2 mine (well in the photo anyway).

My question is...... when can I start mine on adult mice?? I'm sure I read somewhere that u should not feed ur snake anything that is more than 1&1/2 times the size of ur snakes head??

Any ideas or suggestions? thanx Paul

colinmcc
07-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Not the head.

You work it out from the widest point of the snakes entire body (which will be in the middle somewhere). Offer him food items up to 1 & 1/2 times the girth of his widest point and he'll be fine.

By the sound of it, if he's 3 & 1/2 feet, he should be on something bigger than pinkies!

:)

oldhand
07-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Boris i would now go out and buy 6 fuzzies and about 12 small mice. feed 2 fuzzies every meal for 3 meals every 6 days, then move up again to small mice every 7 days. My "little" snow is almost 30 inches long and is eating eather 2 fuzzies or a small mouse (alternate meals) till i run out of fuzzies in about 3-4 weeks, then it's small mice all the way.

Boris
07-12-2005, 12:02 AM
ha ha ha i knew i read something along those lines, thanks for the helpful comments! going to lps today once I finish this night shift! :cheers:

Joejr14
07-12-2005, 03:50 AM
1 or 2 pinkies every 5-7 is no meal for a snake that is roughly 3 feet long. A snake that size should have been on small mice a year ago.