PDA

View Full Version : Breeding/Sale question

Breeding/Sale question

AlbinoOkeetee
08-20-2002, 08:16 AM
Hi Everyone. I was thinking of purchasing an Okeetee Corn Snake from a breeder in SC. I have bought a few books and done some research, and I am having some doubts about the breeder. How young is too young to start selling the hatchlings? What should a snake a week old be eating. The books say one thing, the breeder is telling me another. I do not want to go with this breeder if they are "screwy". Some body help :O)

Jr Nimeskern
08-20-2002, 09:13 AM
HMMM you can sell snakes usually when they have their first shed... but some people wait till the baby corn has eaten at least 2 times... A baby corn will eat little pinky mice... and for some of the other morphs like Miami's and Bloods they sometimes need a anole to start their feedings off... if the breeder is trying to feed them crickets or anything like that then I would tell him what needs to be done... but make sure before you buy the little guy! MAKE SURE that hes eating already... its the saddest thing to see a little hatchling die because of starvation... so I wouldnt want you to go through that on your first corn!

Simon
08-20-2002, 03:15 PM
As Jr Nimeskern said, some people don't know anything and feed their snakes crickets...and that is definately a NO!! So if the seller is telling you that you can feed crickets, then just turn away the deal.....unless he/she is giving you the snake and that it's completely healthy....

I think that you should refer to "The Corn Snake Manuel" it's a book by Bill and Kathy Love (they are the top three breeders in the US) and this book will help you alot!!

I personally like okeetees from Kathy. They have the best okeetees that I think and from what I see....but that is my own personal opinion...hope that I didn't offend anyone else..

Neil
08-20-2002, 06:58 PM
-Read up on what healthy corns look and act like and then inspect the snake in person (if possible).
-Ask to see the hatchling eat a f/t mouse while you are there.
-Ask for some sort of money-back garantee(spelling?) so if the snake turns out to be ill when you get it home you can take it back.

But there's very often some sort of risk when you buy a snake, either from a breeder or a pet shop. Sometimes you can't tell that they're ill and almost all of the time there is no way to know whether that snake is going to develop a feeding disorder or not.

But don't let that put you off- just make sure you have a good look at the snake before buying. Good luck.

Kel
08-22-2002, 12:24 PM
It seems a shame to risk buying an animal from a source you already consider "dodgy", when there are so many excellent breeders in the US who will safely ship you a wonderful quality Corn. Rich Zukowski & Kathy Love to name but two - there are many more.

I suggest going to a reputable company to avoid heartache. Those of us in the UK look at the ads on this and other US-based sites, and we're green with envy. Take advantage of what you have !

Good luck
Kel