• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad mood snake

earlybird79

My cornsnake (Oscar)is a year old and has refused to eat for 4 weeks, Im still trying to feed him/her (not sure ) once a week on pinkies rather than fuzzies but shes having none of it. Then yesterday I tried to feed her and she was really aggresive towards me/ the feeding tongs/everything!! Normally shes lovely and friendly. She lives with one the same age called Gracie and he/ she (also not sure) is huge compared to Oscar, and is a very docile friendly snake.

Can anybody give me some advice as to why this maybe happening? Im taking them both to the pet shop at the weekend and Oscar will be staying until it decides to feed. But anything to put my mind at rest would be great :)

Also I was looking at getting a baby Rat Snake to put in with them as the tank is huge. Do they go well together? Does anyone have any tips on Rat Snakes before I commit myself

Thanxs all

I dont know about the feeding issues. But I can say Do NOT put a baby anything in with 2 yearlings! They will eat it! It will be too small and the older ones will assume it is just food! It needs its own tank and tankmates about the same age and size (no kingsnakes). If you want to group then make sure you have a female tanks and male tanks till they are old enough to breed. Your female can get eggbound if it is too small to breed.

Hope this helps

I've heard that stress due to being housed in the same viv. as another snake can cause a corn to not eat. Almost sounds like that's what's happening with your Oscar. Perhaps he's intimidated by Gracie (you said she was much bigger than Oscar) so I'd separate them and try again in a week or so.

As for housing snakes together, I don't believe that any snakes should be housed together but especially NOT different species. Please get them seperate enclosures.

Snakes of undetermined sexes and under three feet long should not be housed together or one might get pregnant too young and have problems and maybe die.

Like Katie said, the not eating issue may be because of stress. Snakes like to be alone, especially while eating because they are very vulnerable at this time.

I asked about housing two corns together but was talked out of it because of the dangers such as breeding, cannibalism and diseases being passed on. However, some people will disagree and say that housing snakes together does indeed work. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't but it is a risk. Whatever you do, it's your decission.

Neil

Thankyou for the excellent advice, Im not going to get another rat snake to put in with them and Im going to split them up, so I will keep you all up to date on the progress of my baby!!

I think its crazy that pet shops all give completely different advice and Im really grateful that I can get proper info from here where everyone agrees on whats best.

Thanx all and I will post up some piccies asap :D

Back