PDA

View Full Version : Digesting temperatures?

Digesting temperatures?

Kilojara16
08-21-2002, 12:01 AM
My baby doesn't seem to hide in the warm end of the tank when she's digesting food. Her first feed went through just fine, so I'm not too concerned. I think day temps on the cooler side is 77F and night temps 74 (a digital thermometer would make this easier) She has a favorite (or more ideal) hide in the cool side where she sleeps during the day. Is she okay there? Any thoughts?

Rachel
08-21-2002, 06:47 AM
I had the same problem. My female had her hide in the cool side and I was worried about digesting temps. Try moving your heat source so that its at her spot. Thats what I did and it worked fine, or you could try moving her hide depending on your set-up.
Hope that helps!

Neil
08-21-2002, 07:23 AM
I think that as long as the snake has access to temperatures of around 85 degrees then she should be fine. If you have a hide at both ends of the enclosure then she will take advantage of the warmth when she needs to. Snakes usually don't stay cool unnecessarily for long periods of time unless they don't feel safe in the warm spot. Just make sure that the warm end isn't too hot and, if she needs to warm up, she'll find her way over there.

Kilojara16
08-21-2002, 10:25 AM
I feed my baby last night and look in her cage this morning and sure enough she was hiding in the warm side. I guess I only see her when she's in the cool side.

Neil
08-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Corns are mysterious things and sometimes it seems like they live entirely on one side of the viv but they like to move around when they're alone. Some corns are more shy than others and some aren't shy at all and come out to say hello when someone enters the room.

I had the opposite problem and never saw my snake on the cool side. I thought that maybe the warm side wasn't quite warm enough so that she had to spend all her time there to keep at the right temp but I measured the warmth and it was just right. I discovered that she liked to be on the cool side at night and I see her there almost every night when I go to bed. I peer into the cage and she is always looking back at me- it's quite spooky the way they stare at you:D .

Kilojara16
08-21-2002, 06:33 PM
When my baby decides to come out, she peeks her head out a little first, then will slither out leaving some of her body in her hide. If I walk in or move, she zip back in her hide, wait for 15 mins and come back out. If she's all the way out of her hide, she ignores me unless I get really close to the tank. Sometimes she watches me and it is a bit creep the way they stare at you. I hope I never get in a staring contest with a snake. I'd always lose.