PDA

View Full Version : Nagini vs Mouse take 2

Nagini vs Mouse take 2

PssdffJay
07-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Ok, so this is the second time that Nagini has refused her pinky. I put her in the little deli cup I got her in, put in the pinky, put her (in the container) on the cool side of her viv, put a dish towel over it so it could be more secure and in the morning... 1 snake, 1 pinky!! This was thursday night that I did tried to feed her.

I dont think anything is wrong, dont quote me on that, because she is still surfing around her viv at night, climbing the vines and taunting my cat... :grin01: so I dont think she is sick. But then what do i actually know.

So my question is, do I wait another week to try feeding again? I think this time I will try braining and cutting but Nagini is still small!!! I dont want her to not fed properly... any sugestions?

:-offtopic I would have posted sooner but I have been working crazy double shifts... so tired... :cry:

Joejr14
07-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Are you feeding live or f/t?

If you're feeding f/t make sure the temps are correct---warm to the touch, and you might have to wiggle. I get an immediate feeding response if I slightly wiggle the fuzzies around for my 2004's and even my adults with the rat pups. They just jump all over that.

If you're feeding f/t, have you tried live?

If you're feeding live, have you tried f/t?

No real reason to worry yet, snakes can go a long while without eating, even as hatchlings.

PssdffJay
07-17-2005, 04:18 AM
At the pet store she was being fed live so I tried with live the first time, nothing... so I froze that one for later. This time I tried live again jsut to see if she would actually try to eat. The next time i will try with the frozen one I have right now with braining. How do you warm them up? mircowave?? Might be a dumb question but i just dont know. I would have liked to have stayed with live, but i am looking into moving out to Lake Louise (the sickest mountian for snowboarding in Alberta) in November so live just will not work. But I just want to get her to eat live at least once and then worry about switching.

I did try wiggling the first live pinky in front of her and she struck it but that was it. No other interest...

I am handling her a little bit, any where from 5 to 20 minutes just to get her used to me and I havent had any problems. She is very active crawling from hand to hand and she isnt defensive at all so again I dont think she is sick.

Should I wait a week again?

colinmcc
07-17-2005, 07:29 AM
How do you warm them up?

Bowl of warm/hot water. Chuck the pinky in that for a minute or so, then offer it to the snake. Make sure it's not burning hot, just warmed through.

I wouldn't try microwaving it unless you want exploded pinky all over the inside of your microwave. :grin01:

If she refused you don't *have* to wait a week. It's not like a regurge. Just give her a couple of days of peace and try again if you want.

MegF.
07-17-2005, 09:44 AM
The only thing is, if you offer too often, they tend to start refusing all the time. If she's a small hatchling, I'd wait my normal 5 days and then try again with the brained pinky. It is important that the pinky is warm though. A live animal's body temp is 100-101 degrees F, so keep that in mind. Definitely don't microwave.....I tried it once, and as Colin mentioned...kaboom. It took less than a second....yuk!

Lennycorn
07-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Bowl of warm/hot water. Chuck the pinky in that for a minute or so, then offer it to the snake. Make sure it's not burning hot, just warmed through.

I would put it in a zip-lock baggie first, to keep the scent, warm it up to the touch, squish it very little. then serve. :cheers:

peep_827
07-17-2005, 06:30 PM
You've got some good advice on the feeding problem . . . so good luck with that.

I finally remembered where I heard the name Nagini for a snake before - that's Voldemort's snake in the Harry Potter series. :) And I was thinking Rikki Tikki Tavi . . . that WAS close tho. :cool:

colinmcc
07-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I would put it in a zip-lock baggie first, to keep the scent, warm it up to the touch, squish it very little. then serve. :cheers:

Personally, I haven't found loss of scent to be an issue.

I fed the 12 amel hatchlings a couple of nights back (second feed for them). 10 took a f/t simply thawed to room temp. The other 2 showed no interest. A quick dunk in hot water to warm things up and they gobbled them up as soon as I put the pinky back in with them.

:)

PssdffJay
07-17-2005, 08:06 PM
You've got some good advice on the feeding problem . . . so good luck with that.

I finally remembered where I heard the name Nagini for a snake before - that's Voldemort's snake in the Harry Potter series. :) And I was thinking Rikki Tikki Tavi . . . that WAS close tho. :cool:

I agree, lots of good advice! Thanks everyone! I'll give it another go in acouple of days and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Peep_827, I cant remember which thread it was in but I did say where Nagini's name came from, but props for figuring it out thought!! :cheers: I justfinished reading The Half Blood Prince... so sad :cry: :cry: :cry: I cant believe it!! :sobstory: Yeah yeah, I know...

Thanks again everyone.

peep_827
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Peep_827, I cant remember which thread it was in but I did say where Nagini's name came from, but props for figuring it out thought!! :cheers: I justfinished reading The Half Blood Prince... so sad :cry: :cry: :cry: I cant believe it!! :sobstory: Yeah yeah, I know...

Oh, I must have missed that . . . so is that actually where you got the name from? LOL :)

I finished reading it yesterday too. Yes, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan . . . Since I read a lot faster than my husband and son, I got dibs on the book 1st. They are both mad at me cause when I finished it I was crying and I told them not to read it, it is too awful. I'm still upset about it too!!! :cry: My 13 YO son told me to get over it, it's FICTION. :rolleyes: However, you get so wrapped up in it, y'know, I guess that's why the books are so popular.

But you are not the only one . . . I imagine there are devastated Harry Potter fans all over the world right now.

PssdffJay
07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Oh, I must have missed that . . . so is that actually where you got the name from? LOL :)

I finished reading it yesterday too. Yes, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan . . . Since I read a lot faster than my husband and son, I got dibs on the book 1st. They are both mad at me cause when I finished it I was crying and I told them not to read it, it is too awful. I'm still upset about it too!!! :cry: My 13 YO son told me to get over it, it's FICTION. :rolleyes: However, you get so wrapped up in it, y'know, I guess that's why the books are so popular.

But you are not the only one . . . I imagine there are devastated Harry Potter fans all over the world right now.

:-offtopic :-offtopic
I know exactly what you mean, I am a fast reader too, I started re-reading it again last night. I wont spoile anything if there are fans that havent read it yet but i will mention something so if you are and havent finished it yet, stop reading...

I was so happy when two certain people FINALLY got together, I was hoping that would happen but I wasnt sure that it actually would, I just wish in the end that it would have worked out... I dont see why not!!

And when that person died, I was in total shock! Not figuratively, literally! I had to re-read the page several times to believe it myself. I was :cry: too, but I totally know what you mean about getting totally wrapped, or should I dare say constricted..., in these books that I am actually totally angry that things happened in this book. It was like gong throuhg the motions of that death of someone that you knew quite well. This effected me more than Sirius' death in Order.

Anyway, enough of my ranting cause it is bringing up bad memories :cry: I was trying to think up a really cool name, and Nagini just popped into my head, and the scene in GOF where there are in that house in the first chapter. So I christened her Nagini, now it all depends on whenI can finally look up her skirt and see if a change of wardrobe is in order.

PssdffJay
07-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I had Nagini out for a good 40 minutes today, no problems at all, and I noticed a small black spot on her belly. I am assuming that this is what still remains of her last meal but i noticed this when I first got her and it doesnt look like it has mooved at all. I have found any poop, and she hasnt eaten in two weeks, see problem above.

So my question is: How long does it take for a mouse to completly pass through a snakes digestive system? Or could this spot be something else?

I will try to take a picture, but chances are it wont come out clear.

PssdffJay
07-19-2005, 01:30 AM
So when I was trying to hold Nagini still to take a picture I could see the black spot moving underneath its skin. It moved but the pattern didnt. First pic is where it is and the second is approx location to where the spot is to the tail. I think it is still approx 15cm from the vent. Crappy pics, sorry.