PDA

View Full Version : Stryker won't eat!!!

Stryker won't eat!!!

Laura33
07-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the site but have a real worry. I have only had Stryker for a few months and haven't had any problems with him, he is approx. 2 years old. He ate two weeks ago, two frozen adult mice, but suddenly he won't eat, we figured maybe it was the batch of mice we got, so we went out today and got another batch. Just now when we tried to feed him, he took it and then spit it right back out. I have been reading alot of the posts in the forum and it seems like he may be ready to breed. Can anyone tell me how I know if he is???? If so, how long will it last? His coloring is fine, he shed about 3 weeks ago, for the second time this year. Other then not eating, he seems to be ok, should I worry??

Anyone?
Laura33

PssdffJay
07-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Welcome to the forum! Im sorry that I dont ahve any answers for you as I am having trouble trying to get Nagini to eat. But from what I have read about breeding, I dont think that that is the case, but I am not an expert at all in any sense. Has to do with hibernating, brumating?? and kind of late to be getting in the mood... :grin01: but to each is one's own.

Good luck with Stryker!

colinmcc
07-17-2005, 07:31 AM
If he had two adult mice a week ago, and is only two years old, I wouldn't be worrying about refusing food for a good week or three yet.

Two adults in a two year old is enough to keep him going for a good while. One adult every 7-10 days is plenty for all but the biggest captive corn snake.

I'd stretch it out to two weeks before even offering him a single mouse ....

colinmcc
07-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Oh, forgot to say .... it's a bit late in the year for going into breeding mode.

March-May is more common for that so it's unlikely, but not impossible.

MegF.
07-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Mine went into breeder mode in January, so there's no telling snakes when the right time is for them! Mine quit eating for 3 months, so I wouldn't be overly worried yet.

Laura33
07-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks for replying everyone, I will hold off for abit and try him again maybe next week.

Laura33

Laura33
08-06-2005, 12:48 AM
Hey again everybody, well it's been 3 weeks and Stryker still won't eat, should I start worrying or just keep waiting, also we have noticed that is being a bit skittish when we take him out. He is really jumpy and lately doesn't seem to want to come out of his habitat.

He shed about a month and a half ago, I think and he looks like he is going to shed again. We have been keeping his home sprayed down each week and change his bark/stratta once a month.

Anyone have any advice?
Thank again
Cheers!!
Laura

MegF.
08-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Sounds like he's overdue for a shed, and probably isn't hungry. I would wait until after shed, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that he'll eat like a king!

Laura33
08-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Ahhhh.....thank you, I will give it another little bit and see.

Thanks again

Laura33
08-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Just wanted to let all know that Stryker has decided to eat again. Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread and thx for being patient with me. I have been doing ALOT of reading these past weeks, especially on here. I'll try to include a pic of him, if not I'll try again later.

Again THANKS to ALL
Laura33

Lennycorn
08-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Beautiful snake, It's great to hear it ate. And thanks for posting, it's nice to know how it ended.