• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Friday and Sat eve adventures..

TandJ

Ole' Stoic Viper...
Went out looking for snakes on the 15th and 16th of July.. Went out around 8pm ( dusk ) and did a little driving around my local area.. High in California is where I am presently at.. Success on both nights.. Friday night I came across a 2ft, 2inch think side winder.. He was not happy to see me.. Satuarday night I cruised the same area, first snake I found was another side winder, the second one is a little more rare, I found a Mojave Green, both of these critters were intrested in watching me watch them, no rattles that evening.. These have been the first two times I have gone out driving the roads looking for herps at night.. Lucky to have found a Mojave green the second night, apparently this fellow is getting rare in these parts..

Regards..

I think that by far the Mojave is my favorite local species. I see them all the time out here. Such pretty patterns and colors, and I love their head patterns. Not very mean or aggressive at all, but man I would not want to get struck by one.

Georgous little feller, but I was not to intrested in getting overly close to him.. 4ft was about the closest I dared to tread.. Not close enough to a hospital that would likely have the right antivenom.. The Side winders really didn't have me to worried, aparently there bite is more likely to get you really sick as opposed to life threating, but a good idea is to go and get the anti venom shot too if you are bit ( I am not sure if the fellow herper that told me that was on the money or not ).. Was looking for some local gopher snakes and Cali kings, but no such luck involved for me..

Regards..

Well the last few weekends have been alright for herp hunting.. For the most part I found one or two snakes a night.. Unfortunanly some of them have been road kill.. And one I had to put out its miesery, a 4ft or a little more Coachwhip..

http://www.werc.usgs.gov/sandiego/coachwhip-snake.html

I managed to bring home this fellow, merely for a little obeservation and will be releashed in a few days in the same area I caught it..

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/a.e.candida.html

Here is another snake that I manged to save from getting run over on Friday,

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.occipitalis.html.

Enjoy & Regards....

Back