PDA

View Full Version : strange eating

strange eating

Preston3L
08-21-2002, 07:23 PM
a quick question. I got a new baby a little while ago and I fed him for the first time today. Now, this is the second corn I've had, and the first I raised from a hatchling as well, however this is the first time I remember seeing a snake do this.

Instead of striking, he just nosed up to the pinky and, well, swallowed it. No pinning, no wrapping it up to go, just opened his mouth and *gulp* started swallowing.

anyone else ever seen a snake do this?

I'm thinking of naming him Glutton now. :D

Neil
08-21-2002, 07:58 PM
One of mine does that. She just prods it with her nose and then grabs it with her jaws. She's never constricted or even showed the slightest bit of emotion- just swallows. Some corns are like this but most aren't. it's kinda boring to watch but it's safer for you because they aren't so aggressive.

Axe
08-21-2002, 09:21 PM
I just fed my two corns for the first time today.

One of them struck straight at it. The other poked it a lil with her nose and then just wrapped her jaws around it (sideways), lol. It took her a lil work to turn it round, then swallowed it ass first.

Corn Crib
08-21-2002, 09:52 PM
ya my baby corn dont even stike, its kinda boring. it just slithers up to it and pokes it with its nose, licks it a few time and just slowly eats it like she has all the time in the world. just wanted to say that so u didnt feel like the only one whos corn did that, by the way i have a 5 month old female snow corn named loki.

corn crib

0.0.1 snow corn (female, loki is her name)

Rachel
08-22-2002, 05:02 AM
My young male strikes but the female usually prods with her nose then tries to gulp it down (usually sideways...she's a bit thick!).

Katie
08-22-2002, 10:17 AM
My corn does this as well but she also manages to swallow the mouse back asswards every time! When I dust the mice I have to dust their heads because she eats from the back up. Once I dusted the butt to see if that would put her off but it did not. She ate it from that end anyway!

kenalotia
08-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Corn snakes seem to be able to tell that the mice are dead. If you want to see the snake strike, you can try wiggling the warm pinky in front of it (using tweezers or tongs), so the snake will think it's alive.

CornCrazy
08-22-2002, 09:33 PM
My male corn won't eat the mouse if I wiggle it. I have to hold the mouse perfectly still for him to eat. It's kind of funny, actually. Then my little anery is an absolute pig! She will strike at anything.

Rainey
08-23-2002, 11:38 AM
My baby corn does the same thing, I'm kinda wondering if she went to etiquette training school LOL. The only other thing that she could do to make feeding less agressive is to use a fork and knife.

I know what you mean, I hope the male that I'm getting soon will be more of the constricting type. Not that I want an agressive snake, but it would make feeding time a little more fun!

Rainey

bullfrog
08-23-2002, 07:00 PM
i have 2 snakes. A male normal and a female Amel. The amel just slithers up to it and starts poking it with her nose then gently eats it. The male will do the same thing but if i want him to constrict ill shake it in front of him then throw it down around his tail. He turns around looks at it for a second and goes ....." oh that looks like fun *pause* WHAP!

lizzyandsidney
08-25-2002, 11:51 AM
well if the meal is already dead they have no reason to stike at it. i know it might be borin but they dont do it for peoples entertainment!

Neil
08-25-2002, 12:03 PM
The fact that the mouse is dead has nothing to do with it. Many, many corns (in fact, most) strike at food and then constrict it even though they don't need to- it's instinct. :p

kris (UK)
08-25-2002, 04:08 PM
strikes for his food and constricts usually every feed (feeding on f/t mice), but out of the viv, when i am handleing him, he is so calm and non-aggressive!! talk about split personalities

KRIS

Kevin M
08-25-2002, 04:56 PM
I seem to have 2 types of corns. The aggressive feeders that tear their prey out of my hands. And the lazy corns, That seem to realize theyre captive and figure "Now, Why would I wanna waste energy constricting it." Its these corns that just wander up, Open their mouth and almost seem to wait for me to put the mouse in.