• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Adult Refusing to eat?

Bug22baby

Snakes and more Snakes
If your Adult Snake refuses to eat how long is it before you have to find some way to get it to eat? Guess thats not a good question, but I cant think of another way to word it. Question is, my male 2002 candy cane finally did shed after 3+ weeks of being in shed. I just got him July 2 at which he was in shed and milky. Hes been that way up until tuesday (19) of this week. Each time I have attempted to feed him he has refused. I have fed him now 3 times all refusing. Ive tryed seperate container and in the viv and overnight. Each refused!. So Im wondering how long until I start to think somethings wrong. The only time any of my snakes have gone off food was in the early spring. The candy cane has been bred last year but not this year. Is it possible that he just has no desire to eat because of wanting to mate? Im gonna e-mail the previous owner see if he can tell me when the last feeding was. He doesnt seem bad off, anytime I walk in the room he comes out of his hide and wanders around, he isnt shy and he hasnt lost any noticiable size. I do have 3 females in the same rack, do you think the scent could be confusing him? Dont know those are just some of my thoughts. Anyone else have any? Thanks Amanda

Being a 3 year old I'm assuming he has enough 'meat' on him to keep him healthy for at least a few months. Even if a yearling went off food for 2 months (as I've personally experienced) it doesn't do them any harm.

The trick is to not be too eager to feed him. Let him wait at least a week between offerings that way he won't get conditioned to refuse.

The trouble with us humans is we anthromorph our own needs as humans onto our animals that need something totally different, so whilst we think, 'Oh my he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks' he's thinking more like, 'Urgh, it's only 7 days and I'm being fed again'...well perhaps not thinking, but you know what I mean!!

If he refuses food once a week for 4 weeks, then you might want to look into what could be causing problems...otherwise, relax and enjoy your reduced mouse-bill!!!

Im sure hes fine, but I contacted the previous owner who says he ate last on the 18th of June so its going on 4-5 weeks now. He also said that he was such a good eater that he had to be careful opening the lid to his bin, and is surprised to hear that hes off food. I have had a yearling male go off food for 3 months without much of an effect during breeding times. Do you think its too late in the season to rule out that hes looking for a mate an maybe thats why hes off food? :shrugs: Next year I plan to breed for the first time so I hope his clock ticks right then.

You said in your first post in this thread that he's been in shed - it's not uncommon for adults to ship meals while they're shedding. Wait a couple of extra days and try now that he's not in shed. I'm sure he'll eat right away.

My male went 3 months during mating season without eating and did just fine. I'm sure yours will be too. Don't attempt to feed to often. I waited 2 weeks before offering again when I determined he was off food for the long haul. They'll eat when they're ready. As long as he seems healthy and active, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back