PDA

View Full Version : Any problems building a cage out of MDF?

Any problems building a cage out of MDF?

dr_j
07-22-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm getting ready to build an enclosure; I came across an article describing how MDF was constructed with urea-formaldehyde. This substance is slowly outgassed over time --- and some people have been known to be irritated by a single piece in a room.

So ... I'm thinking this is NOT something I want to build a habitat out of. Has anyone had any problems with their corns in an MDF-constructed enclosure? Does anyone know if Melamine (the white coated sheets) are coated MDF? I'd really like to avoid something that is going to make my little babies ill.

What materials have been used to build large vivariums for their corns?

Thanks!

j

~slither~
07-22-2005, 08:43 AM
I aren't 100% but I think my viv. is mdf coated with melamine. The back is something different, not sure what. I think it's the dust particles that are dangerous, so as long as it's cut in a workshop/outside (wearing a mask) you should be OK. Thats IMO anyway. Sure you'll get some more knowledgable replys soon.

princess
07-22-2005, 08:44 AM
MDF, is Medium Density Fibreboard, rather than a coating. Melamine is generally MDF with a polyurethane (sp?) coating. I used HDF (High den.Fib) painted with many, many, many layers of acrylic paint to aid in waterproofing and the like. If you don't coat MDF, it'll swell and warp as soon as water gets on it and if your viv is humid AT ALL, it'll absorb the environmental moisture and swell and warp all the same...ergo many, many, many layers of acrylic paint.

HDF is a little denser than MDF...duh!!!

~slither~
07-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Are you a carpenter by any chance? lol
:-offtopic Maybe you could take a look at this (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22872) post and give me your opinion? Would be much appreciated, don't worry if you aren't sure just say so. thanks

colinmcc
07-22-2005, 09:03 AM
As already mentioned, if you're going to use MDF, it needs to be well sealed. Either paint, varnish, sticky vinyl, vineer etc etc.

If you use a paint or a varnish make sure you give it plenty time for any fumes to disperse before putting any animals in it.

MDF will soak up liquid like a sponge if used untreated.

I've got an MDF viv (quite a big one) sealed with silicone (the joints) and sticky vinyl (the flat surfaces) and it's been in use without problems for years now.

:)

princess
07-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Nah!! My boyfriend who is a brilliant handyman from a long line of tradesmen (and in fact the first in about 5 generations to not be tradesman in his family) built me the 'box' and cut and installed all the vents/electrics, etc and I did the painting, interior design (cliff face and the rest) and applied cork tiles to the walls to make it look a little 'softer'. Then he put on the glass track and we put on glass and introduced the snakes to their new home!

dr_j
07-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Nope, not a carpenter, though I have (for cost reasons, and entertainment) built a few items here or there. I'm just trying to be careful in the materials used --- I stumbled across the discussion on MDF last night, looking up materials.

:-offtopic As for the other post --- my wife is the biologist, and after reading about the pine/aspen debate, we went with aspen. We had a school guinea pig onces (or was it a hamster) for which they used cedar shavings. Definitely NOT a good idea, as that's definitely harmful to the lungs of the little guys.

princess
07-22-2005, 09:10 AM
As for the other post...I use beech chips in my display viv and it looks great and is easy to clean. In my tubs I generally use butcher paper that I get for (cough)free when I go to IKEA. They have a self packing station and I just grab a stack of sheets of the stuff and it covers my substrate needs for a few months!

dr_j
07-22-2005, 09:11 AM
So ... I'm thinking melamine is probably okay to build with. It's coated the MDF pretty well ....

And --- I thought slither was asking me about being a carpenter. :rolleyes: . Princess, you sound like you know more than I do about this stuff....

j

princess
07-22-2005, 09:15 AM
hehehe, I thought he was talking to me....Dan never talks to me anymore *sniff*.

MDF is great and very low maintenence but be sure to seal all the spaces and gaps with silicone, solastic or something similar because if moisture gets in you're up poop creek without a paddle!

It's also a good idea to periodically check to make sure the silicone hasn't failed.

I would have liked to use melamine but it was a bit pricey and ½ the point to building a custom viv was to keep the cost down.

sojkas
07-22-2005, 09:23 AM
I think 3 layers of acrylic paint will be OK.
My friend has frogs in one with 3 layers and everything is fine.
Tank is more than year old.

princess
07-22-2005, 09:27 AM
...although I'd be careful with amphibians on any petrochemical. I really think glass is the best thing for frogs, no chance of absorbtion there.

~slither~
07-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Princess I was asking you, I thought you might know as you seemed to know a lot about MDF (more than me anyway).
I'm kinda thinking that melamine stuff is what my old-man used for the kitchen surfaces, if it is it's hardy stuff and should be great for a viv. I don't think it wuld need coating as it's got a smoothish finish, the edges would need siliconing though.

~slither~
07-22-2005, 09:29 AM
I've just noticed I'm on nearly 20 posts today already! At this rate I'll hit the 300 marks in no time at all. I'll be nowhere near your 1.5 thousand though princess. :( :):)

sojkas
07-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Well of course glass is the best way, BUT this is not just plain frog - tank.
It takes like 1/4 of his room, has waterfall, a lot of live plants and frogs.
Looks stunning.
Oh I forgot to mention that floor is covered with something more, some kind of resin? After paining and adding this stuff he can make pool just on the MDF.

princess
07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Soj, it sounds wonderful. I'd love a huge set up like that with some tree frogs, day geckos, etc, a whole little ecosystem with ferns, mosses, etc.

Dan, I don't know a great deal about it, I just do a lot of homework on any given subject if it comes past me. I'd go for Melamine anyday. It looks great, it's easy to work with (get it professionaly cut though) and it's durable and easy to clean. Cost was the one thing holding me back at the time as I couldn't find anything at a decent price. I'd use it in the future though...no worries!

dr_j
07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
I'll definitely have to seal all the cracks inside.

What I'm thinking of tackling is a viv something like the ones in this set of posts: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6027&page=11&pp=10&highlight=plans

j

~slither~
07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
If you can knock something up half as good as them they'll still look great. I wish i was a little more practical as I'd have a go myself. I'm a heavy handed, hit it with a hammer it will fit kinda guy.

graffixcs
07-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Malemine is the most water (moisture) resistant sheeting to use, however, you can certainly use MDF. The simplest way to seal MDF is to dilute carpenters glue with a little water (to help it spread). Use a water based wood glue, the label will say "cleans up with water" or something along those lines. Paint this on the MDF cage and let it dry AT LEAST 24 hours, longer is better to allow the fumes to vapourise. Then paint the cage with a good gloss finish or bathroom type paint. As has been mentioned, seal the joints of the cage once it is assembled. To join the pieces together simply glue and screw.
I hope this helps some, enjoy and good luck.