• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new to all this!

caitlinandstu

So although my husband and I have had our cornsnake, Benny, since March we have yet to use any kind of forum for advice or help concerning our baby boy! Now that he's 5 months and between 20 and 24 inches, we wanted to make sure we were feeding him appropriately. The gal at the store started us off on 2 pinkies once a week, but now we think he's ready to start chowing on fuzzies...anybody have anything to say about the issue?

Hello! I think your suppost to go by the width of the snake not the length. you can feed the snake a mouse that is 1.5 times the width of the snake. You might want to wait for someone else to comment tho :)

Welcome! It sounds like your off to a great start with you new corn!
The food size really depends upon the size of your snake...

Food item(s) should not be any larger than one and a half times the thickest part of your snake.
For young corn snakes they can have 1 or 2 appropriately sized items every 5-7 days.

I'm sure some others will chime in too. Hope that helps. Enjoy!

All is well!!! He didn't even hesitate, in fact he grabbed it quicker than he ever has with the pinkies...normally he wanders around his feeding box and then goes for the them. As usual though he guzzled it down, he has never had any problems eating! Now I am wondering though...How would I know if he is hungry enough to eat 2? (not that I am eager to feed him til he bursts!)

Don't feed him 2 at a time until he has eaten one at a time of the new size for at least several meals. Let him get used to the new size before doubling the amount of food. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get him to adult size. Sounds like he is growing plenty quickly right now already. If you do go too fast to bigger size mice and he regurges, follow the regurge protocol FAQ on Hurley's cornsnake newsletter on the member forum area.

Sounds like you are doing great so far!

Back