PDA

View Full Version : Chicken or lizard scent?

Chicken or lizard scent?

kocorns
07-29-2005, 11:38 PM
I have been hearing a lot about people feeding baby chick legs to their hatchlings, I am curious if they really work well for non-eaters and if a person could scent a pinky mouse with chicken juice or blood from store bought chicken that you cook? Hmmm..marinate the pinkies?? It was just a though since I have heard so much about chicks lately and I am getting desperate to get my non eaters eating. My other option, since I do not have acess to live pinkies, is to buy an anole and try to scent the pinkies, since I have around 20 or so non-eaters, but they are not cheap, and I have chicken in my freezer to cook. Tell me what you think, would it be safe to try? thanks__Twyla (kocorns.com)

MegF.
07-30-2005, 10:36 PM
You could freeze an anole and just put the pinky head in the mouth to scent. I hear it's very effective as the saliva seems to really make it smell scrumptious to picky eaters.

CornCrazy
07-31-2005, 12:23 AM
You could freeze an anole and just put the pinky head in the mouth to scent. I hear it's very effective as the saliva seems to really make it smell scrumptious to picky eaters.It can be quite effective. I keep the same anole for several months (until the difficult feeders seem to not like pinks scented with it anymore). It doesn't work with all of them, though :(

Jason B.
07-31-2005, 12:36 AM
I tried dipping pinkies in chicken broth last night. I had a few eat for the first time and some other that had only ever eaten live eat chicken sented F/T for the first time. Most that I tried it with refused the chicken sented pinkies just as they had refused regular live and F/t. I was happy that it worked with even a few.

Lennycorn
07-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Well....... you know what a pinky taste like!.....

a pinky

Sorry!

colinmcc
07-31-2005, 12:49 PM
I have been hearing a lot about people feeding baby chick legs to their hatchlings, I am curious if they really work well for non-eaters

Only tried it once, worked great. Switched to scented pinks after ebout 6-10 chick legs. Stopped scenting after about another 6 feeds.

Gets the thumbs up from me when all else fails.

Blue Apple Herps
08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Try scenting a pinky with "tuna juice" from a can of tuna. That works pretty well for me.

Jason B.
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Try scenting a pinky with "tuna juice" from a can of tuna. That works pretty well for me.
Intresting, I'll try anything , couldn't hurt . I have some here that have refused frozen thawed, live, brained and the chicken scented. I'm yet to try lizzard scented this year because I had zero luck with it last year ,but will try that agian also.

Kvlt
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
can i buy lizard scent...or do i actually need a lizard?
You could freeze an anole and just put the pinky head in the mouth to scent. I hear it's very effective as the saliva seems to really make it smell scrumptious to picky eaters.
can i buy a frozen anole? or do i need to buy a live anole?

i might try the tuna/chicken broth first though...my okeetee seems to be damn picky sometimes and i sometimes need to make a small cut in the pinkie/fuzzie (just switched to fuzzies) in order for him to eat...or dangle it infront of him hehe :crazy02:

MegF.
11-10-2005, 09:46 PM
can i buy lizard scent...or do i actually need a lizard?

can i buy a frozen anole? or do i need to buy a live anole?

i might try the tuna/chicken broth first though...my okeetee seems to be damn picky sometimes and i sometimes need to make a small cut in the pinkie/fuzzie (just switched to fuzzies) in order for him to eat...or dangle it infront of him hehe :crazy02:

You can use the stuff called Lizard Maker. You should be able to buy it at your local petstore. Some won't take it with the lizard scent, and in that case, you can get an anole, freeze it, and just use it to scent the mouse when you need it.

Kvlt
11-11-2005, 09:20 AM
is it easier or harder to feed adult mice to adult snakes than pinkies...i assume the pinkies smell more than a hairy mouse? is scenting less common for adult corns than younger snakes?